T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a terrible time trying to heat press caps. I either wrinkle the transfer or put a crease in it. Can anyone give me some good advice on the correct way to do caps?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I don't know exactly what process you're using to press your hats. I make sure th hat is tight to the platen, I then put the design on the hat and adjust into place. I use heat tape to hold it in place. I then press it. I use a Hix B250 press,but the process should be the same with all equipment. .... JB

·
Registered
63 Posts
adding to COEDS reply - if the cap does not fit tightly to the platen try slipping a piece of mousepad between the platen and the cap. be sure to cut the piece to same size as platen. i found this very helpful. and, i always use the heat tape also.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
adding to COEDS reply - if the cap does not fit tightly to the platen try slipping a piece of mousepad between the platen and the cap. be sure to cut the piece to same size as platen. i found this very helpful. and, i always use the heat tape also.
Good suggestion on the mouse pad,i have used a mouse pad,teflon pillow, and a folded towel to get a good fit. ... JB

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a terrible time trying to heat press caps. I either wrinkle the transfer or put a crease in it. Can anyone give me some good advice on the correct way to do caps?
Make sure that you aren't using a low profile cap on a trucker's platen, that was a problem I was having at first.
I use a wash cloth (referred to me by someone here) to fill that gap.
They do sell smaller (or larger) platens at places where they sell presses, you'd have to check your brand to see, and maybe ask around here if you aren't sure.

Randy

·
Registered
387 Posts

Casey . . practice w/ a piece of paper (the size of the design)
and a cold hat press
while your practicing . . do your pressing in slow motion and keep your eyes
on the angles that are giving you the most trouble

do you fold out the headband from the inside of the hat/cap?
after you pull the tighting bar down, are you holding down that bar tighter to help make the cap snug before actually pulling the press down onto the cap?

are your caps a 5 panel or 6 panel cap?
are your caps a high profile or a low profile?
are you looking to see -- where the actual center point of the design area
is on your cap?

if I can think of some of the questions I use to ask . . I will add them to the list

Diane
;o]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your responses. I will definetly try some of your suggestions. I think putting something under it will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts