T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having a few problems I need help with.
- all the polyester shirts are not taking the bleach well and won’t turn white. When bleaching I use flour around my design and brush the bleach on let, dry in the sunlight but it just fades the color out and doesn’t turn it white. How do I get polyester shirts to take the bleach.

- second question.After bleach dries, I wash them in the washer on warm setting. When they are done drying I take them to the heat press. 385-400 for 80 seconds it’s burning the shirts. Not just marks. It actually turns the entire part where I bleach a dark brown.

any suggestions?

·
Administrator
14,651 Posts
Synthetics don't bleach well as you are finding out. You should not apply undiluted bleach to the garment, it will only degrade the fabric. Also, you'll never get the shirt white, whatever you do. A dingy yellow is about the best that can happen.

What's your end goal with this? Why are you heat pressing after drying?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Perhaps you have seen the videos of people sublimating and then bleaching shirts? They are using cotton/poly blends, heather colors specifically. The cotton bleaches (results will vary by color, as some colors do not bleach well) while the poly was clear/white to start with (that's what makes the heather effect in the first place).

Note, after beaching, you must neutralize any residual bleach or it will eat the shirt. Washing is not sufficient. Hydrogen peroxide is what many people use, as it is relatively cheap and easy to obtain. It also has the positive side effect of clearing any yellowing that the chlorine bleach might have caused in the poly.

The shirts are "burning" when you press them because heat speeds up chemical reactions, and you still have unneutralized bleach in the garment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts