T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a logo created in illustrator for a customer that i need to separate for screenprinting, but am having trouble. here is an image to illustrate the problem:

The black square is whole in illustrator, with golden yellow text on top of it. this is to be printed on a white shirt.

what i need to do is knock out the black behind the text, and have it choke the yellow, so i can print yellow, then black.

In Photoshop it's easy; select the text layer, click to the black layer and hit delete, then choke, problem solved.

Can't figure out how to do it in illustrator. any help would be tremendously appreciated.

derek

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jimmy-

I guess i am confused about the tutorial on overprinting vs knockout.

I'm thinking the knockout is what i'd want to do, as i want no black printed behind the yellow text. But i am confused about the whole thing.

It'd be ideal to apply the path of the yellow text to the black filled object beneath it...

·
Registered
175 Posts
overprinting simply means that when it gets printed.. your yellow will print over the black and not cut it out of the background.. You do not want to over print but if you stroke the yellow a bit for your trap, you will want to overprint stroke

·
Registered
175 Posts
ok.. you want to make 2 spot color swatches in your swatches pallet.. then make your background the black spot color, then make your yellow text the yellow spot color... when u have the image the way you want it, select the yellow text only, then go to your attributes pallet and with your yellow text selected, make sure overprint is not selected, other wise it will not knockout the black when printed.. and make sure you have the stroke selected for overprint that way the yellow outline will trap slightly over the black and not knockout the black behind it

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used cmyk document settings here, i went to view/overprint i created text and made 2 spot colors one green and one yellow, i did not select overprint fill but i did select overprint stroke, and i added like a 5 point stroke in yellow to the yellow text and selected overprint stroke. obviously the darker green is your trap where the yellow prints over the green

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
lets say that you have a 5 color design and Black is an outline on every color, you can stroke every individual color whatever amount you want and go to go to Edit/edit colors/overprint black.. That way every color you print will give you that same trapping.. you can also select overprint black in your print dialogue box.. Plenty of options just make sure you have your view/over print view selected.. There is a way with your pathfinder window to actually do the knockouts on the art itself before it prints. It all takes a bit of getting used to. Sometimes if you have multi color designs, you will find that every now and then there will parts of the same color that you want to trap and others you may not for some reason.. That is when export a copy as a .psd set at least 300 dpi and do my custom trapping for each individual color with my channels

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool.

The only thing i can think of is when i open my print dialog box, under the general tab it has a few options for printing layers. Should i have the "Visible and Printable layers" option selected? Or "visible layers," or "all layers," or doesn't it matter?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I usually select visible and printable layers.. When i have a layer i dont want to print i double click on that layer in the layers window and deselect print. Then it wont even be an option

·
Registered
118 Posts
what i need to do is knock out the black behind the text, and have it choke the yellow, so i can print yellow, then black.

In Photoshop it's easy; select the text layer, click to the black layer and hit delete, then choke, problem solved.

Can't figure out how to do it in illustrator. any help would be tremendously appreciated.

You can always do it in photoshop layers, then save it and just open up the document in illustrator... Illustrator will ask if you want to open it as a flattened file or keep it in layers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts