T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Got 2 big trucks to letter tomorrow. Don't have electricity access where they are at. Have one semi that needs old lettering removed.

What is the best way without using a heat gun? I have Rapid Tac remover but have never used it before and from what it says on the bottle it is just for removing adhesive.

What can I do to keep from having to scrape it all off with plastic razor blades?

As you can tell I'm new to removing old lettering. What little I've done has just been easy to do with heat and razor blades.

HELP PLEASE!!!!
Thanks!
Craig

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Butane torch, be careful with it, but it's the portable heat gun. If you lack a good hardware supply store, I know some auto stores carry em (used to work at a Checkers/Schucks/Kragen and we had em on hand in the tools section bottom shelf, most likely where you'll find it).

I've seen the ads for all the different kinds of removers and crap, but never heard anything decent about them. You may want to research some threads at Signs 101 Home - Signs 101 the people there aren't the greatest sometimes, but the information is valuable. I personally haven't had good luck with the plastic razor blades, seemed to take a lot of work to get them under. I use a regular razor blade instead now, and a lil chisler for smaller letters.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe,
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I'd thought about the torch, just kinda unnerves me a little to use one. Have one already and will take it with me tomorrow. Just doesn't have the trigger. Strictly light with flame. Makes it kinda rough for this type work.

Thanks!
Craig

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Ha signs 101 ah got banned twice there... good info jerk people
Yeah, seemed a bit too egotistical and narcissistic for me. About once every other month I'll go there to read a few threads, but all the trolling and "Why don't you hire one of us professionals to do it for you!" kinda mentality drove me away from wanting to contribute or even bother checking it often.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It went a whole lot better than I expected. Just scraped with plastic razors and used rapid tac adhes. remover. Worked great. Only had a couple of really stubborn spots and sprayed rapid prep on let it soak for a minute and then was able to get the off with more elbow grease. Only took about 3 1/2 hours from start to finish on the semi and took off lettering and logos on both doors and both sides of sleeper. Added new logo on doors sleeper and right below the sleeper window. All in all not bad for the first big job. It only took less than 45 minutes to letter the other one with the same amount of decals and logos, just no removal.

As for signs 101 I agree. To many people on there who claim to big such big experts and huge success and they must post 100 post a day. If they are such big successes why do they have time to play on the computer so much? And I agree, they are so full of theirselves they think the sun sets and rises on their very words.

No, I don't post there anymore. That's why I like this forum so much. No one here is so full of theirselves and most are actually here to help others.

Thanks again. I had fun with this job and hope to do more in the future.

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.