T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Im am freakin stumped!
Can anyone help me please? Im trying to print a halftone photo image on a black shirt, i can do it somewhat but its not the same as i see in the stores this is how i do it;
convert the image to halftone>>
then bring it back to grayscale then rgb>> then to put it on a black shirt i invert the image>> and print the transparancy>> it comes out ok but when i see other photo images that other printers do on black shirts i notice that they have gray halftone dots as well as white to give the image alot more detail and look alot cleaner. I dont know how to do this can someone help. Pulling my hair out and cant afford hair plugs.
Thanks in advance. I dont have a specific image just any black and white photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think the order you're working in might be the culprit. If I understand correctly, you're creating the halftones and then inverting the image. You should probably be converting to halftones last. Try this order instead.

Step 1: Convert color photo to grayscale (if using Photoshop, use the Black & White converter first)
Step 2: Invert image
Step 3: Convert grayscale image to bitmap with halftone screen

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok kool thanks moe
i know how to do that but it still give me a single tone halftone. (if i print out the image how you mentioned it will only print white and yeah that will print the picture and it will come out ok but ive done prints like that i want more detail ive seen tshirts with two tone halftone images. For instance it will be a black tshirts with a white and gray halftone scheme as opposed to just white ink. Gray with the white give greater detail. How do i print the two color halftone scheme? Im sorry if i rambled or used too many words.
Thanks again

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ok - I understand what you want now. I'm not sure if this will work, but I think it has a good chance. You'll need to create two images:

First image (prints with gray):
1) Convert image to grayscale.
2) Use Levels or Curves or Brightness/Contrast to make the image darker (not a lot of white highlights).
3) Convert to bitmap w/ halftone screen

Second image (prints with white):
4) Take original image and convert to grayscale again.
5) Use Levels, Curves, or Brightness/Contrast and bring out the white highlights (but don't overdo it).
6) Invert
7) Convert to bitmap w/ halftone screen

*note - there's no inverting of the image for the first one

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks let me give it a shot . It sounds logical. I post the thumbnail give me a sec

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[qu this is kinda what i was shooting for. i did the way you said and it looks like i just need to get the adjustments right. ote=moe_szys1ak;694469]Ok - I understand what you want now. I'm not sure if this will work, but I think it has a good chance. You'll need to create two images:

First image (prints with gray):
1) Convert image to grayscale.
2) Use Levels or Curves or Brightness/Contrast to make the image darker (not a lot of white highlights).
3) Convert to bitmap w/ halftone screen

Second image (prints with white):
4) Take original image and convert to grayscale again.
5) Use Levels, Curves, or Brightness/Contrast and bring out the white highlights (but don't overdo it).
6) Invert
7) Convert to bitmap w/ halftone screen

*note - there's no inverting of the image for the first one[/quote]

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
you could also convert it to grayscale.
Then, convert it to duotone or tritone and choose your gray tones.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey celtic i know how to make it gray scale but how do i <<convert it to duotone or tritone and choose your gray tones.>> thanks

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Well first, you have to convert to grayscale.
Then, it will allow you to convert to duotone (located same place 'image....mode...)
Ok, once you select duotone, you can then change it to tritone, if you want...anyway, two default colors will appear in the duotone window and your picture will show those chosen colors...you can click on the color box and it will allow you to change the color choices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts