T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

whats the min polyester content / cotton i can use on sublimation heat press ?
as i have been told that sublimation is the best for heat pressing ? ,i know i cant use 100% cotton ! which is a shame as i can source these easily !!!!
anyhelp ?:confused:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
hi guys

whats the min polyester content / cotton i can use on sublimation heat press ?
as i have been told that sublimation is the best for heat pressing ? ,i know i cant use 100% cotton ! which is a shame as i can source these easily !!!!
anyhelp ?:confused:
You really need 100% polyester to dye-sub on, the problem is that the ink is made to bond/absorb into polyester the higher the cotton content the less absorption you have and the duller the print will look, also the dye-sub ink will wash out of cotton.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have seen companies purposely use cotton/poly blends to achieve a worn and vintage look. I think your minimum poly content should never be less than 50% in any circumstance. But if you want bright vibrant colors, 100% poly is what to use. As mentioned by Jon, the less poly content the less vibrant the color you will get if you sublimate the garments. Just to mention, sublimation is not a cheap printing method, nor is it easy to achieve a great print right off the bat. You will need to find a very good supply company with knowledgeable staff in sublimation to help you quickly get good results. Conde and Johnson Plastics come to mind in that area.

Also, just be sure you know, sublimation is not the only option for decorating garments with a heat press. You can also heat press contour cut vinyl and digitally printed heat transfer designs for example. Those are less expensive and easier methods to start out with. You might read this thread if you have not already done so: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t48532.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts