T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out how people create those perfect caligraphy style designs that look like iron work. Its hard to describe but maybe someone will know what I am talking about.

The type of design I am looking to create looks like vines swirling around. Some people describe them as artistic shirts. If you look at http://www.jedidiahusa.com/ you will see some scroll looking design on the left part of the boarder. How do you create that type of stuff? Do you just use the pen tool in illustrator or do most people scan in something and adjust the levels to make it a simple one color image? If anyone has any insight on how to make those artist designs I would be very appreciative. Thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
For work like that I use PhotoImpact for its ease. If I just need a flat image it works fine cause I can save as a BMP and do a trace in my cut software. I also cheat a little, I have a few stock images I can use and alter as needed.

I snap a grid just for reference and use the dup macro alot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's also fairly easy to do a google image search and pick and choose pieces and recreate them. Don't be to worried about making every design a "from scratch" project. Many graphic designers use references in their work.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Since this kind of imagery has its roots in much older graphic design, you may also be able to find out of copyright Victorian images to use. That would help avoid having to deal with that grey line of what's reference and what's plagiarism (I'm not saying that reference is plagiarism, just that one becomes the other depending on how much you use).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hopefully you have Photoshop for this link...

Here's a link with some of the ornamental designs you're looking for, for free!:

http://www.xeler8r.com/01/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=4

Scroll down the page and select "Font Layout in PSD" This will allow you to download a file with a whole lot of design elements. You could zoom in on the font (design element) you're looking for, take a screen shot (Ctrl+Print Screen) on PC and bring it into your vector program if you need to.

I'd go into Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw or of course if its going to be a raster image in Photoshop and trace the lines with the pen, bezier tool to replicate. For Photoshop create a new Path, then use your "Pen Tool" to trace the lines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You could buy some ornament fonts at http://www.myfonts.com/search?search[text]=ornaments (they don't cost that much)

Ayres Clothing said:
I have been trying to figure out how people create those perfect caligraphy style designs that look like iron work. Its hard to describe but maybe someone will know what I am talking about.

The type of design I am looking to create looks like vines swirling around. Some people describe them as artistic shirts. If you look at http://www.jedidiahusa.com/ you will see some scroll looking design on the left part of the boarder. How do you create that type of stuff? Do you just use the pen tool in illustrator or do most people scan in something and adjust the levels to make it a simple one color image? If anyone has any insight on how to make those artist designs I would be very appreciative. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi,
there is a company call Dover and they have a ton of old graphic
art with no royaltie, they have catalog and cd. then you start with a
basic design and you modify.

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Ayres Clothing said:
what would you guys type into a search?
Personally I wouldn't - I'd go to my nearest Borders (or independent of your choice ;)) and browse there. As someone mentioned Dover are particularly good for this kind of thing. The books are pretty good value for money, and if you have them in your hands (as opposed to online ordering) you can make sure they have the kind of images you want/need.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dave, just wanted to say I love PhotoImpact...especially for doing web images. Also, what cutter are you using? Susan

hammered said:
For work like that I use PhotoImpact for its ease. If I just need a flat image it works fine cause I can save as a BMP and do a trace in my cut software.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If going Dover, make sure to ask per set of artwork "how many" you can use per set. I believe it is 10 images. Susan

badmouth2006 said:
hi,
there is a company call Dover and they have a ton of old graphic
art with no royaltie, they have catalog and cd. then you start with a
basic design and you modify.

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
In the case of the books, the info is in the fine print within the first few pages (generally along with the publication information).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey I just discovered this site, and am planning my own heat pressing for tees I'm designing and will sell. I will introduce myself later, but I wanted to quickly join so I could reply to this... however late I may be...

I can't see a sample tee of what you mean, but in my old skool graphic design days, I came up with a brill way of doing such swirls.

Get super-intricate, etc., calligraphy fonts and make a letter, make it really large in Photoshop, like too large, and just focus on the swirl parts. Make the letter a raster, and then erase the letter part leaving the swirl. Then you can play.

Again, I don't know what look you're actually going for, but there are numerous possibilities with all the fonts out there.

Hope I help people searching and finding this topic!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts