T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya everybody. I am very New to the clothing industry. My friends and I own a small company and we have been self dying and having people do our photoshop designs for us. Usually these people are friends which is great. However, we are now selling many items quicky. I would like to know if anyone has suggestions for the most efficient way to teach oneself photoshop and illustrator. I am welcome to any suggestions including classes, how to books or one on one mentoring. Please give me your honest input. -Thanks:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Theo, I am learning "The Gimp" at the moment an I have found lots of help on-line. I did a search just then as I was pausing and I found lots of help sites - Results 1 - 10 of about 3,340,000 for photoshop help. Don't spend any money just yet. Checkout the help on-line first!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
There are a lot of good free tutorials online. Although Adobe's Classroom in a Book series is also good, and gives you a lot of information in one place without having to look very hard.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Sometimes it is really a matter of just setting oneself down in a locked room and hacking at it. You might also see if there are any community colleges or such that might offer night courses for it. Of course there are tons of tutorials on the internet. And check the local library or book store to see if there are any good books.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot. I figured as much but wanted some experienced input. I am probably gonna go with a combo of the LOCK YOURSELF IN ROOM method and free online tutorials. Any other input would be helpful. I will be posting art and clothing soon-Thanks : )

·
Registered
24 Posts
The most thorough book I've read is " Photoshop 7.0 for Screen Printers" by Joli Ballow it also comes with a CD-ROM to accompany the projects in the book .
Another good book (but a little general in some areas ) is" How To Print T-Shirts for fun and Profit " by Scott and Pat Fresener .
On-line I used Adobe.com for tutorials , ect ...
Good luck and keep learning , it's an endless process , but a fun one !:)

·
Registered
938 Posts
For me, I like a combination of both online learning and classroom learning.

Sometimes it can be challenging to find one online site with a handful of tasks you want to learn in PS or Illy. I've also found that instead of learning tutorials online, I'm browsing trying to find the best tutorials to learn then 2-3 hours are gone doing that alone!

If classroom learning would be beneficial to you, do it. If you cannot focus well online, then you'll possibly have challenges learning online.

Check community colleges and learning centers such as New Horizons. With a place like New Horizons, you'll pay more but you'll see a full outline of what you will learn. I am planning a class like this to be taken in the fall.

Below is an example of an Illy class at NH:

Illustrator CS2 Level 1

Outline:

Lesson 1: Creating Logos Using Simple Shapes
Choose New Document Settings
Create a Custom Workspace
Draw Basic Shapes with the Shape Tools
Draw Paths with the Pencil Tool

Lesson 2: Enhancing Logos
Format Objects
Manipulate Objects
Insert Type

Lesson 3: Creating Logos Using Custom Paths
Draw Paths with the Pen Tool
Modify Existing Shapes to Create New Shapes
Duplicate Objects
Apply Graphic Styles

Lesson 4: Creating a Logo with Type Special Effects
Apply Gradients to Type
Create Type on a Path
Apply an Envelope to Type

Lesson 5: Creating an Advertisement
Import a Graphic
Align Objects
Apply Spot Colors
Wrap Text
Export a File

Lesson 6: Manipulating Body Type
Import Body Type
Format Type with Styles
Fix Spelling Errors
Find and Replace Text
Insert Typographic Characters

Lesson 7: Managing Assets with Adobe Bridge
Explore the Adobe Bridge Environment
Apply Metadata and Keywords to Assets in Adobe Bridge

AB

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just learned the functions of the program as I needed them. Meaning, I didn't sit down to learn every function of the program. I'd be working in photoshop, and need to know how to do an outline, so I googled how to do an outline in photoshop and found what I needed. Things like that.

Youtube has some pretty excellent tutorials now a days, too.

And if you want to learn in class, the vocation high school by me has night courses on photoshop and things like that for 89$. There might be something like that close to you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Mike, thanks for the link. I have been using the Gimp and there is a lack of info re: wrapping text around an image. I get the path right but can't see how to align the text to the path! Inside Graphics may hold the answer. Cheers

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm a visual person so for me i try to find a video that shows me how to do something.

Here a few video tutorials that may help and i think are good because they deal specifically with t-shirts.

http://screenprinters.net/product.php?pid=dvd-photo7

or

Illustration:
http://screenprinters.net/product.php?pid=dvd-adobeil9

Also, here's are more cheaper video tutorials but... it's general like must courses are and not specific to t-shirts.

Adobe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADOBE-Flash-Dreamweaver-Photoshop-CS3-Training-Videos_W0QQitemZ380018191492QQihZ025QQcategoryZ185QQcmdZViewItem

Finally another alternative and i believe you get to pay monthly payments are;

http://www.vtc.com/
or
http://www.lynda.com/

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi Mike, thanks for the link. I have been using the Gimp and there is a lack of info re: wrapping text around an image. I get the path right but can't see how to align the text to the path! Inside Graphics may hold the answer. Cheers

Inkscape can do that. It's like 3 clicks to do.

Just highlight both the text and the path. Then go to Text>Put on path

You an move the letters up and down, side to side, and in circles using the arrow keys and shift, ctrl, or alt. I can't remember the names, my fingers just know where to fall

·
Registered
584 Posts
Also try Lynda.com's tutorials. I believe you pay a monthly service and you have access to all kinds of useful video tutorials that are constantly being updated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Learning new software can be a headache, but I've noticed you get further faster by doing moderate sessions regularly instead of a marathon once a week. And like Dann said before, focus on what you need and learn the rest as you go along.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi Dann, thanks for the pointer to Inkscape. Added it to the list of things to do tonight. Which is better than the list of things to do ASAP.....that ones stretching into 2009 already!

·
Registered
26 Posts
go to your local bookstore and get Photoshop or Illustrator for Dummies. Make sure you have an Mac because from what I saw, those books teach from a Mac computer perspective and not a standard Windows platform. But who knows! Maybe they have for Windows too.

Good Luck!

Pat

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi folks, Since Dann put me on to Inkscape I have been in awe of the capability of this program! It truely is a fantastic program. Having learned CAD back in the 90's and taking up learning the Gimp a few years back I though I had seen the best on offer, but I was wrong!

It's so good it's actually fun!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts