T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing blank hoodies and sweatshirts. Majority of the garments I am looking at are 50/50 cotton-poly blend.
Want to ask before I order and make an expensive mistake...
Is it still possible to heat press inkjet print outs on to it without any problems?
Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It depends...
First of all some 50/50 hoodies have 100% cotton front.
If the fabric has polyester content, dye migration will be an issue.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Order a few to test with before committing to a larger order. Far cheaper to waste a few garments in testing than be sitting on inventory that you can't use. Order 1XL size, as that is the largest size before the price point goes up. Gives you more room to use--to be clear, the goal with these testers is NOT to produce a salable garment, but to use every bit of it for testing. Wash the hell out of your test prints. See what happens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't had any problems with ink jet transfers on 50/50 blends. However, if you are using sublimation it will be a problem due to migration. NoXid is right on the money concerning doing a few test shirts. You can sell them, use for samples or wear them yourself so not loss on experimenting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got some old blank shirts and hoodies that I sometimes wear with different blends of material, some being at least 50% cotton.
Would it be okay to press onto them and see how the design's come out or does it have to be new garments?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I haven't had any problems with ink jet transfers on 50/50 blends.
Interesting, because everyone else does. Here is a good video about it.

I got some old blank shirts and hoodies that I sometimes wear with different blends of material, some being at least 50% cotton.
Would it be okay to press onto them and see how the design's come out or does it have to be new garments?
My suggestion would be to buy a few sacrificial sweatshirts (colors you want) in XL size, and cut them up into test squares.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a good video about it.

My suggestion would be to buy a few sacrificial sweatshirts (colors you want) in XL size, and cut them up into test squares.
👌 Awesome vid man. Thanks so much, helps to get a better understanding. Have ordered 2-3 hoodies with different types of materials blends.

You know some 50/50 hoodies have 100% cotton front.
That's the type of hoodies or sweatshirts I'm after. Any clues on brands I should be looking at?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts