T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! My friend and I are wanting to open a store and are having a difficult time deciding between a heat or screen press. We know that we would get a lot of business from the schools and parents, but the schools' main colors in the area are dark( black, navy, purple). Ive read on here that dark shirts do not heat press well. With this being a new business, we dont want to put a couple thousand dollars into a machine (screen print) with the chance that we may not survive.

Any suggestions on the matter? Are they ways around the color with a heat press or should we go ahead and invest in a screen press?

thanks so much Ü

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
A heatpress doesnt care what color the shirt is. What you need to look at is how you are going to produce prints for the dark shirts. Are you going to be doing Dye-Sub or Ink-Jet transfers, ordering Plastisol transfers etc. If you are doing school shirts you can always print the dark school colors on lighter colored shirts...usually how its done.

There are ways to do dark shirts in any of the print methods with the exception of Dye-Sub.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Weve decided to use heat press. Now we have another decision to make so I was wondering what would we need to print our own transfers and how long does it take ordered Plastisol transfers to arrive?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Do some searching through this forum and you will find a lot of companys mentioned that offer the services you are looking for. Imprintables.com and Stahls.com just to name a few. Their websites will give you an idea of turn time and shipping to your location.

One other option is to look at a vinyl cutter. It will cost a few thousand to get set up, but you can make one shirt or many with no ship time and it doesn't take up as much space. If the design is a hit and you get a big order, give the job to a contract screen printer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.