T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this great name and idea for a tshirt company. I also got a logo for the business in question and am ready to start printing it on some shirts. My question is, I am not very artistic when it comes to drawing ect. I have ideas but I can not draw or make them myself. So, I could not single handedly handle future designs if the company grows (which I hope it will.)

Would it be best to form the business with someone who can, like a partnership? with a specific artist? Or perhaps, offer a percentage of the profits of the specific design to the artist? Or buy the design directly from the artist and then sell? Any ideas or thoughts on the best way to go about this? Anything would be helpful. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Partnering with a designer is an excellent way to go. I strongly suggest working with a pro. If money's tight, try the graphics program at a local university or community college to find someone who will work cheaper - maybe just for free t-shirts they can sell to friends.

I have a friend whose daughter does some great manga-style work. I can't wait for my business to get to the point where I can use some of her work. It would make her very happy and probably drive her mom nuts!

Some other options are photography and public domain art - anything that's not copyrighted.

Also stock photography. Most sites carry illustration as well. Some are quite expensive and all the good ones will charge you more to use their images on products.

I've had good success with iStock (Stock Photography: Search Royalty Free Images & Photos).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would agree that partnering with someone else is a good idea. I would pick the right person though and work out how to divide the equity of the company. Another suggestion of mine would be to use a site like 99designs.com and you could probably save money compared to hiring a freelance graphic designer. Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was in the same boat as you...I had an idea, name, and logo but absolutely no artistic ability. But, after hours of drawing and practicing on photoshop and illustrator it sorta just came out and I can't see myself needing an artist. People may think otherwise after seeing my shirts lol but I think they are pretty good now. I think if anyone just takes the time to practice drawing or working in photoshop good things come about. If you can't tell I am an extreme optimist :rolleyes:

Good luck in your future T-shirt company

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm at the same situation as you but in the extreme oposite, I only have some designs that I want to print, and nothing more (no funds, no knowledge about prints, no knowledge about bussiness, etc...)

but my comment about your post is to think about what you really whant about this bussiness, I mean, you want to be in this bussiness only for the money? if that's the case you can invest in some nice illustrations (buy the rights), make prints and sell, and in the way you sell the way you will buy more illustrations or desings...
or like jimmy-B says, he is in this bussiness because (I suppose) he want to make money with their own hands, and that's why he learn to make her own designs.

why do you want to make a bussiness selling t-shirts?
maybe the answer will help you...

oh an BTW... welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Id say try busting out illustrator and seeing what you can do.
The more you try and think about this stuff, the better eye for this stuff you develop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts