T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've already looked at previous posts on here and they just confuse me. I have a few simple questions I need answers for, and preferably reasons why if they dont work. And any sites with said items would be very helpful.
Question 1: Can I use an Epson WF7510? (UPDATE: ANSWERED AND POSSIBLY SWITCHING TO THE EPSON ARTISAN 1430)

Question 2: Where can I buy ink for it? I want the cheapest best quality ink out there.

Question 3: I hate CIS, I bought one and lets just say it didn't work very well, can I use refillable cartridges with that ink and that printer?

Question 4: I read on a post somewhere on here, that the CGI profile or something like that wont work with the 7510. And that bitmap images would be distorted or something close to that. Well I only use Adobe A.I. so this wouldn't be a problem correct?

Summary: I need help, deffinite answers. Everything is confusing me when people argue about brands being better and inks not working, thats fine if you say that, but dont just say that and leave! Elaborate! Let me know WHY something I want wont work. Or WHY this is best. And yes, before I get yelled at again, I know Ricoh makes the "best sublimation printers" but with the cost of the printer and the ink, I just cant see myself spending that. I cant.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I understand theres thousands of opinions, its just no one asked the same exactly questions Ive asked. Theyve asked the round about. Im just starting with sublimation, so to limit it down to just 4 questions, I think thats pretty good. I know what I want and what I dont want, Im just not sure where to go from there.... Thanks for the good luck though. Ill need it.

· Registered
67 Posts
Do you have the printer or do plan on getting it if it can be used? You could definitely use it. If you can afford to pay the extra $100 for the Artisan 1430 which has a 25% smaller print dot. Not sure how noticeable the difference will be, but sounds like you'd get slightly sharper images out of it, plus it uses 6 colors which may also provide better color.

And as Painter said, Cobra Ink seems to be the go to brand for affordable quality inks. And yes, make sure to speak with Richard and ask for "High Temperature Ink", and not sublimation ink (they're the same thing but for legal and licensing reasons, they're not), anyone else will tell you no. I just learned that first hand this week as I made my first order.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have that printer, but I'd be purchasing another one for sublimation only, spending another hundred wouldnt be that huge of a deal, the only problem I'd have with that one is more colors, more ink, higher the price. Correct? Or am I off here? I'm going to take the printer into consideration for sure. I definitively like it better than the WF.

· Registered
67 Posts
Well, I haven't order a refill for cobra inks yet, but when I ordered the CIS, they bundled it with 4oz of each ink for like $80 bucks more. That's pretty damn cheap even if the regular price happens to be double that considering that a single .5oz cartridge of artainium ink costs $80 each!

· Registered
8,374 Posts
Do you have the printer or do plan on getting it if it can be used? You could definitely use it. If you can afford to pay the extra $100 for the Artisan 1430 which has a 25% smaller print dot. Not sure how noticeable the difference will be, but sounds like you'd get slightly sharper images out of it, plus it uses 6 colors which may also provide better color.
The gaumet difference is not worth the extra cost for 6 colors. The dot size is only 12.5% smaller. This will not be much benefit when printing sublimation. Its more beneficial when printing films for screen printing.

Also the 7510 print head prints a 2.0pl dot vs the 1400/1430 being a 1.5pl. Printing the smaller dot with sublimation can be more prone to head clogging

You can use the 1430 without issue. I used a 1400 for years. I also used a 1100 which has the same spec as the 7510. You really couldn't tell the difference

The 7510 works fine. Others have recommended some sources. I would recommend that any ink you use make sure they have a ICC profile to use and proper instructions for using them correctly.

· Registered
67 Posts
The gaumet difference is not worth the extra cost for 6 colors. The dot size is only 12.5% smaller. This will not be much benefit when printing sublimation. Its more beneficial when printing films for screen printing.
I hear that being said several times. Does that mean each print uses up a bit more ink, or about the same amount of ink but that that some simply choose not to go with the added initial investment of the first batch of inks. Because if it's the latter, doesn't sound like a bad deal in the long run. Even if slight, better gamut is better gamut, specially on some images.

· Registered
67 Posts
I use my 7510 I have now for printing films for screen printing. Would it be better to just switch it around or get another 7510?
You'll have to completely flush out the inks. Even after replacing the cartridges there will still be some in the system. You'll have to run quite a few cleaning cycles. If you switch to something like Cobra Inks, you'll use up quite a bit, but chances are it will still be cheaper than buying a new printer. If you buy a new one, you could save yourself the trouble and possible headache (if you run into an issue), and still keep the one you have in case you want to make more screens.

· Registered
275 Posts
I use the Artisan 1430 with a Cobra CISS for sublimation. I also have a 7510 with Cobra refillable carts for heat transfers. That said I like the 1430 better I think it produces a better image. To me it makes a difference when I print out pictures to put on aluminum panels. Whatever printer you go with I highly recommend Cobra inks. I can go 2 weeks without printing an image on my sublimation printer and run a test print and I have never had any clogging issues. If you do the math with Sawgrass inks they come out to almost $2,000 a liter for ink.

· Registered
9 Posts
I guess it's a good thing I decided to read up on these forums again I was torn between these two printers myself leaning heavily towards the 1430. I already have two 13"x19" printers one for my canvas and photo prints the other for test prints and documents so another 13"x19" is going to be a pleasant surprise for my wife. It sounds like I need to call Cobra myself I would prefer to deal with one company for inks and carts and after reading up on years of post on this site they come up the most as dependable.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You'll have to completely flush out the inks. Even after replacing the cartridges there will still be some in the system. You'll have to run quite a few cleaning cycles. If you switch to something like Cobra Inks, you'll use up quite a bit, but chances are it will still be cheaper than buying a new printer. If you buy a new one, you could save yourself the trouble and possible headache (if you run into an issue), and still keep the one you have in case you want to make more screens.
Well either way Im using one for the screen printing stuff. Theres no question in that. But I was asking if because the 1430 is slightly better should I get that and make that my primary screen printing negative printer, and then make my 7510 my new sublimation printer? But with the ink, I tihink either way its better to just buy a new printer. Just need to figure out which once. Im still leaning towards the 7510. I'm worried the 1430 will cost too much more in ink....

· Registered
67 Posts
I looked on cobras site, doesnt look like they carry Sublimation ink???
They don't sell "sublimation ink," they sell "high temperature inks." They are the same thing, but due to strict licensing laws they can't advertise it as sublimation ink nor sell it on their site.

Call them, ask for Richard. You MUST speak to Richard. Explain to him that you're in need of high temperature inks. If you ask anyone else or ask for sublimation ink, they'll tell you they don't sell it. Until the patent wears off (which I hear is soon), they're just trying to protect themselves.

I went through the same ordeal myself this week as I placed my first order. Took me a while to reach Richard, but once I did he was real helpful and transferred me to sales with a seal of approval to buy the inks.

· Registered
8,374 Posts
yes it is the same but the more its discussed the less it will be available until the patent has ended.

If your planning on doing halftones the 1430 will output superior film compared to the 7510.

Reactions: mgparrish
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.