T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30' Pontoon Boat with horrible, old, peeling vinyl graphics. Would I be better off buying my own cutter or paying someone to replace them ? Figure #1 is my boat. Figure #2 is the graphics that I would like on my boat. Anyone with a ball-park cost of having it done vs. buying my own ?

Attachments

· Registered
185 Posts
Hi, I am not an expert for sure but here's my 2 cents... it looks like it would be a bit expensive to have someone cut and install this for you. I would buy my own cutter and do it myself if I was you. This way you can always have the ability to fix old vinyl or create great graphics for projects in the future.
If you want to get a real side by side comparison do this, call five places and get quotes from each and get the average, then find a nice entry level cutter capable of doing what you want, then price the vinyl and consider your time as well and see which is really more cost effective for you.
If putting decals on stuff is your thing then definatly get a cutter!
Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,135 Posts
A couple things come to mind, first would be does Tracker offer the replacement graphics like the ones you want to install on your boat?

2nd would be that because of the length of the vinyl on the sides a cheap cutter is going to have problems being constant cutting a 8-12' piece of vinyl without messing up, the front graphics would be a easy task for any cutter.

3rd would be have you ever applied vinyl before? while it looks easy enough there is a learning curve, most boats require marine grade vinyl and removal and cleaning prior to installing the new graphics is very important for the vinyl to last, only other thing is that cheap calendered vinyl will fade in just a couple seasons without some sort of UV protection.

Just a few things to consider.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
30 Posts
I have to agree with Jon, you not only need to get the cutter you then need to learn how to use it. The vinyl required for your boat is expensive so you do not want to waste it learning.
After 3 years of doing apparel we have recently started to do some windows for businesses and are about to brand our friends new boat. I would suggest that you get a few quotes as you may be pleasantly surprised.:)
If you get a quality job it will last a number of years.

· Registered
996 Posts
My 2 cents is to purchase the design from tracker and have a person that is skilled in application to put it on. After It's on, take them out in your boat for a party in payment. The barter system works.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately the isn't a Tracker dealer within 500 miles of my location that will return an eMail or have someone knowledgeable that answers their phone. I am also not a big fan of their stock graphics. I am looking at buying a good cutter and having the ability to make my own; or paying someone to cut if for me. Thanks for all of the great suggestions:)

· Registered
132 Posts
Kenny

Thats a great idea to buy your own cutter and cut them yourself. The vinyl isn't that expensive I've used Oracal 651 and LG's Vizuon Hi-Cal 6000 on many boats without any problems. It will give you the satisfaction of making something unique and you'll have a great time doing it.

Mike

· Registered
25 Posts
Ha,
You can buy a cutter, and even the programs to use the cutter. However it takes a good deal of skill to learn how to design the graphic so that the dimensions are correct. Then you are going to have to learn how to get the program to work with your cutter so that you can cut the vinyl. Then you are going to have to learn how to weed the vinyl out. Then you have to have the tape to mask the vinyl so you can apply it. Then you will have to learn how to apply the vinyl, which will take you several months to learn how to get it right so it looks good. Then you will have to take the old vinyl off and make sure it is cleaned correctly.

So you might have this boat back in the water by winter time. And after spending several hundred dollars and alot of time. It would be cheaper to pay someone to do it.

That is just my 2 cents worth.

· Registered
996 Posts
Robert: Here here. The larger the graphic, the more problems. I myself would never even try this and I have the equipment. It's the same as full wraps on autos. Takes a lot of skill which I do not have.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha,
You can buy a cutter, and even the programs to use the cutter. However it takes a good deal of skill to learn how to design the graphic so that the dimensions are correct. Then you are going to have to learn how to get the program to work with your cutter so that you can cut the vinyl. Then you are going to have to learn how to weed the vinyl out. Then you have to have the tape to mask the vinyl so you can apply it. Then you will have to learn how to apply the vinyl, which will take you several months to learn how to get it right so it looks good. Then you will have to take the old vinyl off and make sure it is cleaned correctly.

So you might have this boat back in the water by winter time. And after spending several hundred dollars and alot of time. It would be cheaper to pay someone to do it.

That is just my 2 cents worth.
This would obviously be a winter project. Boat owners try and use the nice, sunny weather to be out on the water:) I would love to know some ballpark price estimates... [this was part of my original question]. Thanks you very much for the tutorial. If I try to pull this off myself, it will come in handy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.