T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be meeting with Brother Corp Reps. this thursday regarding The
GT -782 and possibly placing a deposit. Is there anything you guys would like me to ask or get specifics about? Justin I'd appreciate your insight as you are always tough on these kinds of matters.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
An exciting day, no doubt! Congratulations on taking the next step forward; how confident are you that you will purchase?

Here are some general things to consider, when getting a live demo on the machine (things that I would consider, anyways):

1. Never let them print their own artwork; Lord knows how long they've had to tweak, test and re-tweak their files. What is important to you, the business owner, is how well the machine will process YOUR files, or the files that your customers provide to you. Take at least a half dozen of your own files, demonstrating a wide range of print capabilities. For instance:
- smooth gradients / gradient transitions to shirt color
- wide range of colors / shades of each color (especially problem colors like purple, blue and red)
- small text and detailed images
- photorealistic images (skin tone in photos is critical)
- etc....

2. Please make note of ANY type of maintenance the reps have to do in your presence (ie, if they have to do any sort of manual purging, or if they have to stop printing for any reason); chances are, if THEY have to do it, YOU'LL have to do it, a lot more! Don't let anybody dismiss these things by saying "oh, it usually doesn't do that" or "it won't do that as long as you don't stop printing".... Trust me, it does, and it will.

3. Take lots of pictures! I don't know how much flexible they will be on this matter, but hopefully they don't mind you getting lots of detail shots (I am most concerned with how the prints look after curing, when provided by average, regular people) and maybe some video...

4. Pay close attention to the CC usage that is displayed; do NOT start running numbers in your head based on ANYTHING other than the CURRENTLY available price of ink! Brother has lots of things in the pipeline, I am sure. However, by their very nature, they move slower than a herd of turtles, stampeding through peanut butter - I wouldn't count of what they PLAN to do, in the "near" future. If and when ink becomes more reasonable, we can revisit the issue. Make sure you are taking note of how many CC's each specific image uses, as well as the measurements of the images and the approximate ink coverage (it would be cool if you could post this info!). That would probably be the most useful thing I could think of for potential machine owners who want to do a proper comparison; it is critical to one's success to properly anticipate one's ink costs.

That's all I can think of, at the moment (although I am sure more will pop up, later); good luck, and congrats, either way!! :)

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Since you said the GT-782 printer, you have to talk about pretreatment. Two ways you can look at:

1) Be afraid of the pretreatment process
2) Embrace the fact that you have to pretreat a shirt and understand the process

If you decide you are really interested in the printing white ink on any dtg printer, then you need to understand the pretreatment process as it creates the foundation of white ink printing. So learn as much as you can about the pretreatment process and look at your different options of applying it to garments (i.e. by hand vs. using an automatic pretreater).

Mark

·
Registered
291 Posts
Maintenance - Nail them down on maintenance procedures/times. If you have to do daily maintenance on the machine, it will cut into your work day. Find out exactly what needs to be done to keep that white ink flowing. I would also have them perform the procedures while you time them.

Good luck!!

Eric :cool:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Justin as always you are vicious :) but always worth listening to. I hold your opinion in high regard cause you've own from the Biggest to the smallest. Thanks to all that replied.

I spoke to the reps and they said the ink cost are being tweak in the software for a higher yield without sacrificing quality and the maintenance will be there but unlike the what one might think. They said due to their ink chemistry some of the dupont rules to maintenance apply and some are not quite so applicable considering their ink cures ink 35 secs etc. etc. Nontheless they emphasize the quality of a manufacturers machine makes a big differences as well especially the picoliter size of the printheads that are being used and so on and so on. What was reassured to me was that Brother is making every attempt to keep the reliability of the 541 when producing the 782 kinda like if it aint broke don't fix it attitude. They also claim with pretreat and all the cost per sq.in will be 3cents full coverage.
Did I mention The cleaning solution will be a special bulk ink cartridge. This is what I got from the conversation.

I would like to hear more as I am making a check list to reassure myself.

And YES We are serious about placing deposit on that day.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Thanks for the kind words... :)

They also claim with pretreat and all the cost per sq.in will be 3cents full coverage.
YIKES!

12" x 12" (standard print size) = 144" x .03 = $4.32 per print
14" x 16" = 224" x .03 = $6.72 per print

And of course, those numbers don't include overhead to run the machine / dryer, labor costs, misprints / maintenance, etc. For numbers like that, I can have a Kornit owner print my stuff and it will look fantastic, won't cost me a dime in overhead or maintenance, and takes the risk and stress off my shoulders. In my opinion, Brother is gonna have to do a lot better than that, before they can truly call their machine a "production" machine.

What is the largest size the 782 can print? I wonder what THAT would cost, if you actually utilized it...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also another thing to pay attention to is the usage of the white plus color print setting vs. the white w/ white highlight plus color setting. As this will add another pass on top of the white and color AND more white ink.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts