T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm printing light colors (white) on navy blue shirts (using Pantone inks). I've never had a problem with this before, but with a recent order the customer washed the shirts, wore them, and then the white turned pink and all the letters cracked. Even the red letters are now cracked. This was a very large order, and this happened to the majority of the shirts. We then re-printed the entire order using brand new ink, and put a clear coat on before the actual letters. I don't know what else to do, this has never happened before. Please help! What can I do so the letters don't turn colors and crack?

Korri

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
If your inks are turning colors, then my guess is, you are printing on a 50/50 shirt. The plastisol ink is drawing the dyes out of the 50/50 and turning your white a lighter shade of the color of your shirt. If you want to continue using 50/50, you have to use a LB ink (low bleed) made specifically for 50/50 shirts. When printing white on any color, I always put the shirt on the platen and rotate it under the flash unit while I'm placing another shirt on the next platen. By the time the shirt gets back to you (assuming you have a rotating press), the shirt will be cooled down and the heat will have made shrunk the shirt a little (if at all). Then print one pass of white, rotate it under the platen and by the time it gets back to you, print the second pass of white.

This gives you a nice bright white and good durability. As fizz mentioned, you want to make sure your check your cure. I would purchase a Raytek laser heat gun. When you are curing your shirt point the beam on the shirt as it comes out of the tunnel dryer or while it's under the flash unit. Most plastisol inks need to reach 320 degrees. Once it reaches that temperature, it's cured. With a double pass of white, you may want to go a little higher so the heat can penetrate through the ink, (330 - 340).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it! Do you have any suggestions for LB ink? Does pantone make any? Thanks again!

Korri

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I'm not sure pantone even makes plastisol inks. I think Union Ink makes a nice series of plastisol inks. www.unionink.com

Just so you know, they do have pantone matching for these kinds of inks. You do have to pay a mixing fee. Anytime I need to match a color, I start out with whatever base color there is and start adding other inks to get the correct color. You begin to really take notice of colors when you do it this way and usually you can get the ink color pretty quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm also not sure if pantone makes plastisol inks. i was going to get a formula scale, though so i could mix the colors more efficiently. thanks for all your help!

Korri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts