T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum but I would like some advice. I don't have coreldraw or any other graphic software but now I would like to add a cutter to my embroidery business. I would like to do rhinestone templetes as well as heat pressed t-shirts. My questions are, would I be better with a 24 or a 15in cutter and what software would be easier to learn the DAS system or ACS (Eagle or Falcon). I would like something that I only have to learn one program and not one for graphics and one to send to the cutter.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Unless you know for sure that you will never need/want to cut something larger than 15 inches, then I suggest you get the 24 inch cutter.
I think the learning curve for either DAS or ACS is probably about the same. DAS has a very good program but it is very expensive. ACS, to me, is a better buy.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forum but I would like some advice. I don't have coreldraw or any other graphic software but now I would like to add a cutter to my embroidery business. I would like to do rhinestone templetes as well as heat pressed t-shirts. My questions are, would I be better with a 24 or a 15in cutter and what software would be easier to learn the DAS system or ACS (Eagle or Falcon). I would like something that I only have to learn one program and not one for graphics and one to send to the cutter.
Allot of cutters operate directly with graphic software such as Corel Draw via a printer driver for the cutter.

GCC makes very good (and inexpensive cutters), and the Roland GX-24 is an excellent as well as popular cutter.

I agree that you should just get a 24" wide cutter. You will be happy that you did.

What are you looking to do? Did you know that some cutters can cut Twill? This would be a great asset to your embroidery business.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so it's a 24 I will look for. But do I really need to learn coreldraw plus the software to send the design to the cutter? Is there a software that will do it all? Also I have seen a lot of posts about the force of the cutter, how much should it have? I might do twill but not sure but if it came up I guess it would be a plus to have it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also I have seen a lot of posts about the force of the cutter, how much should it have?
It depends on the material. Your cutter will have a test mode that makes a small cut next to the origin - start with the recommended setting and make test cuts until you get to where you want to be.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a 48" and haven't used more than 30" material.. I'd settle for a 36" cutter if I had to make the choice again. I would never suggest a 15" to anyone, it's far too limiting.

I've heard excellent things about GCC as well as roland, I have a Copam 4050 from US Cutter and would probably go with one of the above if I had the decision again.

I think with both GCC and Roland they both come with decent cutting software? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Ok so it's a 24 I will look for. But do I really need to learn coreldraw plus the software to send the design to the cutter? Is there a software that will do it all? Also I have seen a lot of posts about the force of the cutter, how much should it have? I might do twill but not sure but if it came up I guess it would be a plus to have it.
You do not need to know Corel Draw and a rhinestone software to send the design to the cutter. You can create your designs and send to the cutter using just the rhinestone program. You may need some kind of graphics program to create and/or clean up artwork, but that doesn't have to be Corel Draw.
If you really want something that will do it all then you should probably invest in the DAS system.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
If you dont want to go into the high dollar investment you might want to try the KNK Maxx with Acs software. The cutter has great down force and the software has the rhinestone functions built in, so you are getting the software and cutter for a great price. Also the software is not only a cutting software but also a vector graphics program, so you can design and cut all from one program :)

I myself would just go for the KNK maxx 24" instead of the eagle, as the price difference is a huge amount for a machine that has just a few minor differences but basically can do just about anything the same as the eagle, also the software for both, the ACS is exactly the same. Here is a thread on those machines and software, its long but well worth the read :) http://www.t-shirtforums.com/rhinestone-decoration/t78625.html

Reactions: ashamutt

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You don't have to become an expert at Corel Draw or anything. Just enough to be dangerous.... Knowing a few of the basic tools will be more then enough to start. Also, GCC cutters come with Greatcut, and the GX-24 comes with Cut Studio.

Both of those programs have a plugin that when you are in Corel Draw for instance, you would click on the plugin and your design will automatically be imported into your cutter software.

As for the force that is required, it depends on what you are cutting. Most cutters will come with plenty of force to cut what you are looking to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts