T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there
I am new to screen printing without any experience!
I was wondering which screen is good to print halftone photorealistic images(I need fine details to my designs)
Also i have another question!
When I exposed the screen can I clean it in bath or I must clean it in "dark room"?
My darkroom is a modified wardrobe which I have install the light!
I know that is not a professional job but in moment I haven't the space and the money that is required for a screen printing workshop!
Thanks a lot !
Any information for beginners like me is also welcome
(Note : I print for a few months only one color t-shirt till I master the technique)

·
Registered
694 Posts
The rule of thumb for mesh and halftones is: the mesh should be 3 1/2 times the dpi of your halftones. For example: if you want to print a 50 dpi halftone, you need a 176 mesh. Depending on your emulsion, mesh tension, image size, 50 dpi should work. 60 is better but you'll need a 200 - 230 mesh screen that's really tight.
You can wash out your screen in a bath or even over a 5 gallon bucket of water using a soft sponge and plenty of water! Once exposed, the time you have it in the light to wash it out shouldn't set the unexposed emulsion once it's wet.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rule of thumb for mesh and halftones is: the mesh should be 3 1/2 times the dpi of your halftones. For example: if you want to print a 50 dpi halftone, you need a 176 mesh. Depending on your emulsion, mesh tension, image size, 50 dpi should work. 60 is better but you'll need a 200 - 230 mesh screen that's really tight.
You can wash out your screen in a bath or even over a 5 gallon bucket of water using a soft sponge and plenty of water! Once exposed, the time you have it in the light to wash it out shouldn't set the unexposed emulsion once it's wet.
Thanks a lot for the information!
Is there another way to wash the screens without spending a lot of water?
Also which ink is better for halftone, waterbase or plastisol?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.