T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and glad for all the info. We are a screenprinting biz that got into embroidery a year ago. We found a used Melco Amaya(big red) for sale and have been growing and frustrated with only one head. We are considering trading in the Amaya for three Amaya XTs but are a little cautious about doing this for production reasons. After reading this forum we think going with SWF 4 head single function might be a better a route. We are in Texas and the Mesa SWF HQ is in Fort Worth. Few concerns though, (1)will my Designshop software work on a SWF machine, (2)will not having the tension system the Amaya has be that big of a deal and (3)can I use the 4 head for single quick jobs in between large production? Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I really like all my SWF machines.they are great and the service from the company is awesome. I purchased my machines through SWF EAST. .... JB

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello,

we had the same problem. we are a screenprinting shop that recently got into embroidery. only problem was we knew nothing about embroidery and exspecially the equipment. after thorough investigations we went with swf east. there training and support is excellent and we haven't had the first problem with the machine. we've had it for about 2 months now and will definently stick with swf east when we upgrade. they have an excellent price and product!!! very highly reccomended. do not listen to people when they tell you that you have to have a tajima or a baradun. if they want to spend the extra money let them, but i can do the same thing they can with my swf!

damon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all
I have been off the forums for some time but now back. You can check with the pantogram people in tampa and ask their advice on their modular machines.

Also depending on whether you are using a M or L bobbin you can now get magnetic bobbins which cut down on your having to manually tension your bobbins

Lalove

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JB, Damon, Jennifer and Claudia, thanks for your input. It will be very helpful in makinng our decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
manual tensions are not an issue, how do you think everyone else does it? I think melco really sold you on the electronic tensions. I like SWF machines, but not their earlier models they came out with

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have an SWF 4 head and it is easily used with 1, 2, 3 or all 4 heads running. You just turn off the heads you aren't going to need. We also put a small strip of craft magnet across the thread trail on the front of the head so the threads aren't pulled out of the needle of the head we aren't using. You shouldn't have a problem with your software as long as you can successfully save your designs into the DST format for the SWF. I bought my machine used, 2003, and the only issue I have had was replacing the "pot" and I easily did that myself. I have used Mesa in Dallas and have been very pleased with their service. I am in Louisiana. I also use the magnetic core bobbins and run them to the end of the thread with no problems. The machine stops when its out, I change it, push go and it's quick and easy. The tension issue resolves itself pretty quickly because it doesn't take long to get the "feel" for where it should be. I also have found that on some designs with long stitches, I will need to adjust my tension for those areas and it's very simple to do. Don't be afraid of adjusting your tension to your needs, whether upper or in the bobbin. Initially I was terrified of making changes, but that is where the learning happens so experiment and you'll be comfortable in no time. I do a lot of contract work with my 4 head and still have the flexibility to do the small jobs--wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have to disagree about the magnetic bobbins eliminating your need to adjust tension. I use magnetic bobbins and you still have tension issues just as you do with bobbins that have a paper side, no side or plastic sides. The magnet is supposed to prevent overspin of the bobbin. In other words when running at high speeds and sudden stops the bobbin does not continue to spin past that stop point. The magnet in them is not strong enough to actually control the tension.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did not intend to imply that the magnetic bobbin takes away the need to adjust tension. :( I was merely trying to point out that the magnetic bobbins are very convenient and I haven't had any problems with them. I still do a test with each one after replacing the bobbin in the case and I have quickly learned to "feel" whether it is too loose or too tight. I then make any adjustments. I wanted to make a point to the original writer not to be anxious about having to do tension adjustments--it comes by feel and knowing your machine, and changes are quickly and easily made.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SWF all the way. We have been running SWF for 6 years now and wow great service and great machines. Almost all problems have been operator error and if not within hours we are up and running again unless we needed parts. Would recommend SWF over almost any other machine on the market.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
SWF all the way. We have been running SWF for 6 years now and wow great service and great machines. Almost all problems have been operator error and if not within hours we are up and running again unless we needed parts. Would recommend SWF over almost any other machine on the market.
I 100 % agree and they are a awesome company when it comes to customer service. .... JB

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just saw the Amaya XT, definitely better than the first Amaya. I heard so many bad things about that first one.

Like someone already mentioned, as long as you can save the file to a compatible file type, your current software should not be a problem. Depending on if you buy new or used (and from where) some places will let you trade in your old software as well depending on the value. Or you may work out a deal with the new machine that will include software.

I've heard good things about SWF (I'm a Barudan girl myself), but if you're looking for each head to work independently for short jobs, look into the Amaya XT or the new Toyota networkable ESP9100. Both will give the functionality that you are looking to achieve. I agree, that you can always turn off the head(s) you don't need, but if you do a lot of piece work, that's time wasted.

I'm looking into the Toyota's myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts