11 Posts
Hello, I am just starting out and I am going to buy a

heat press. I don't have that much money right now to

spend on a press but I have managed to find 2 heat

presses in my price range. They may not be the best

but it will only be temporary until I can make enough

money to buy a better one. They are both on Ebay and I

am torn between the two. Please take a look and let me

know your opinion as to which one I should buy!

Press #1

Press #2

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would not buy either one. I would spend the money upfront to buy a decent press. Don't get anything less than a 15x15. I have the Stahls Might Press 15x15 and am very happy with it.

Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree with tcrowder on this one. He said two important things that many people here have stressed in the past: 1.) buy a quality press from the get go and 2.) avoid getting anything less than a 15x15.

You may have success with one of the presses you see but often people regret not buying a quality piece of equipment to start.

I know said you don't have the money right now... then wait! What's the rush? Start the right way. Simply save up till you can buy something decent and then start. Don't start the wrong way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi,

I agree with everyone. Irregardless of the low price, after your first few weeks of using it, you'll wish you waited until you could get a 15x15" flat heat press.

I started heat transfer printing (sublimation) in August 1987 and spend a whole $295 for a National Screen 15x15" flat heat press. I still use it and it has not given me any problems.

Please remember that the only piece of equipment that will make your investment in is a heat press. The problem with purchasing an inexpensive heat press is, you do not have the large platen area to clamp down onto your products. The larger the surface area (15x15" as an example), will produce a consistently high quality imprint.

A 1/3" height adjustment is wothless (this is my own opinion) as a mousepad can be 1/4 to 3/8 high. Sublimation products such as dry erase boards, jewelry, etc... can be higher. Make sure the lower platen has a heat resistant foam, and the upper platen is teflon coated.

If possible, I would recommend you wait a bit and try to purchase a 15x15" flat heat press - think they call 'en clam shells now. You might want to contact a few local screenprinters to see if they may have one lying around in the back of their shop that they don't use or put a small ad in local newspapers.

Hope this helps.

Toonsign

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
No No No No.. you will be sorry for throwing away your money. Please believe all of us here. We know for what we speak. I know it is hard. You want to get in the business but you'll turn out crappy work. The time it takes you do the work will really upset you. It is all about heating aliments, pressure, timers and ease of use and reliability. You want warranty with your press.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm in the same boat as most may already know. I want a good heat press to start out with. I know 15x15, but I just want to know a good brand to buy. I only looked at geo knight and hix. Is there any others?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently had a buy a new press when my National 15x15 would no longer turn on.

I bought a Hix 15x15 Swing Away. So far I love it.

It ran $635 locally.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought a HIX back in 1979. It still works great and makes me money every day. All origional parts never a breakdown.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"I bought a HIX back in 1979. It still works great"

funny... may be you can get a good buck for it on ebay... " Vintage Heat Press " LOL.

I agree, HIX is all you need.

you dont really need all the digital stuff with some heat presses... the clam style is cool too because it takes up less space than the what you-ma-call-it... you know the ones that swing from side to side.

You can always get the fully automatic presses when you have a bunch of turkeys working for you.... just kiddin'!!

yeah... spend the mula and make it a life time investment with a HIX.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The only way you'd see this press on E-bay would be if you pried it from my cold dead hands. Tees are like cookies, you can smell when their done. Who needs all that Hi tech crap to break down?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello
if iam given either or both for free, i will not take them.You can get a nicer used heatpress that will last you longer time than those.Call your local screen printer or shirt shops, some of them might have a used heatpress they want to sell.Good luck

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
StitchShoppe said:
Tees are like cookies, you can smell when their done.
That does make me wonder just what you'd be breathing in though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was in a similar situation when I first started on these forums JM. I quickly learned that with a name brand, goes a long way. A heat press is not just a "heat press" or big iron.....or in this case an "upside down griddle".

A lot of people on these forums didnt start out with a 15x15, so don't think that you NEED to have one to get started. It really depends on your designs and how you will use it. 15x15 is the recommended, but if you can get away with a 11x15 or even less, then try it. You can find a decent press for around 400 dollars.

I was going to purchase my mighty press on ebay, but figured I'd just dish out the extra 50 bucks and buy it from coastal. It just makes me feel more comfortable buying from a trustworthy name.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Stand for which heatpress? I opted not spend the $300 (?) for the Knight DK20S stand. I can buy a workbench for less than that. My press is plus 185 lbs and swings so Ikea was out of the question.

Here I was looking for a worktable/bench and we had a sturdy solid metal office desk that can take the weight plus added bonus of lots of drawers for supplies (one drawer is for the practice/goof shirts ;)) And, I can fold my shirts on the desktop:D

You can make your own stand too if you need wheels (or not).

Buechee said:
I was told to get a stand with the press, is it really a good buy?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts