T-Shirt Forums banner

My website good or bad?

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  wozza1@mac.com 
#1 ·
This is kind of an ambiguous question and as much as I hate to post this, would anyone have any major criticisms about the structure of my site?

I'm not much of a designer so I just used what I know but might there be a better way of uping my site in the search engine ranks with keyword placement? I suppose it's not the best that I used inline frames for each of my pages instead of full pages.

Any tips?

Much appreciated. :)

~B

#4 ·
Visitors need direction, and you are helping them out with that large photo of your model. That is where the focus lies. But it would be better for you to link to one of your product categories like, Hamsterwear. That will enable people to see more of your designs quickly. This will help them to be able to browse around and hopefully buy something. The quicker you can get them involved in the buying experience the better. I feel making more of a prompt from that model shot would do wonders. Maybe add some text to the photo like see our designs from $xx.99.

None the less, great website, excellent use of Shannon.

Just had a thought it might be a good idea to have your website go straight into a category so your homepage shows six designs straight away. You could rotate them for freshness as well, that will get people coming back and search engines happy (if you add them text underneath the photos that is).

I hope that helps a little. Oh and loose the frames.

#6 ·
Adam said:
I hope that helps a little. Oh and loose the frames.
I'm no java script buff (or anything besides html and css) but it acceptable to have each individual page source exactly the same (same border, nav bar, etc.) but only have the middle white section change?

Do people get annoyed that each page may take a long time to load? (The reason I was using iframes)

#7 ·
Having a consistent layout is generally the norm. What you have there isn't going to take a long time to load at all if it was in separate pages. You only have one avenue for a searcher to reach you by if all your pages are within one frame.

If you open all of that up you'll have many more pages that can be indexed by a search engine. Also people can bookmark and link to the pages they like.

>Do people get annoyed that each page may take a long time to load?

Yes they will.. but your pages won't take a long time to load. It's the main product images that are going to be the longest to load.

CSS, 1px backgrounds are pretty useful for quick loading web pages. Make yourself a template, header and footer. Put them in seperate files and use them as server side includes. Then what you have in the "white space" will be between those includes.

#8 ·
No javascript required! -- I'd suggest you use shtml. Most webservers support it, and it'll let you have a page you can update LIKE frames -- where you can change just one file to change the appearance on all of them. It's really easy to implement, and much better than frames or mainly updating every single page with a change. It should load faster too, since it should be cached after loading once. Let me know if you want more info on shtml (it's simple to implement and pretty easy to find info on online too).

On the 'what's new' page, you probably want to actually link to the categories it mentions there. Not a big deal. The shopping cart loads in a new window, which is kind of annoying. 'rats @$$' should probably be 'rat's @$$' :) That's about all I see that looks off at all to me. Easy to navigate and looks good overall.

#9 ·
Twinge said:
On the 'what's new' page, you probably want to actually link to the categories it mentions there. Not a big deal. The shopping cart loads in a new window, which is kind of annoying. 'rats @$$' should probably be 'rat's @$$' :) That's about all I see that looks off at all to me. Easy to navigate and looks good overall.
Yeah....I thought about that too. (rats @$$). I think if I did each page as a full page instead of iframes it would be easier to impliment the shopipng cart into the page instead of opening it up in a separate window. I couldn't seem to get the "back to shopping" button to open back up in it's own window on the shopping cart page since it was on the ewecart server. Thanks for the info!

Twinge said:
Let me know if you want more info on shtml (it's simple to implement and pretty easy to find info on online too).
I'd love some info on shtml......I've heard of dthml but not the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.