T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont think I have enough posts to attatch an image maybe?

But my question was, I have a vector design which is an image of Lauryn Hills face, and I would like to know the best way to print it.

ie. Screen Printing - Maybe it has too many colors and is just not worth the setup and all of the materials needed.

or Heat Press.. etc.

I plan to be printing around 20 pieces in various designs to sell. I wish I could upload my design, Im going to try another method as soon as I post.

· Registered
464 Posts
Well,
it can definitely be screenprinted.
I would do it

1. brown a
2. brown b
3. blue
4 black
5 white
6 grey

If on a white shirt, you can omit the white ink

You will have to decide if the time and effort is worth it
for only 20 or so shirts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, That makes sense.

A little more insight as to where im at right now...

The screen printing press I have... I built using the online plans, its a four color press. I built it pretty accurately. BUT I have yet to print a shirt with it.

MY GOAL - is to start a line of shirts, the reason i say 20 or so shirts in each design is because I want to see how well the shirt is received before i mass produce 100+, I guess i should have said 20 at a time. I have around 5-6 designs that i am really confident in, I just need to do a market test with those "20" shirts.

My Uncertainties ??? - I REALLY love the look and feel of screen printed shirts, but I am not opposed to heat pressed shirts either. In the future i would like to use both methods, but as for now i would like to choose one or the other to get started. My funds are not unlimited.... But I am looking into the transpro 15X15 from pro world if I do decide to go heat transfer.

I was unsure as to whether or not the numerous inks, screen burning,cleaning materials would be a financially smart decision for a start-up market, test line with designs such as these.

Also I have an epson stylus 3000 that will be doing my printing either way, transparencies or transfers.

Thanks alot guys, im sure this thread can fit into multiple categories, so I tried to relate it as much as possible to one design and just provide other information about my situation as well

· Registered
112 Posts
Thanks, That makes sense.

A little more insight as to where im at right now...

The screen printing press I have... I built using the online plans, its a four color press. I built it pretty accurately. BUT I have yet to print a shirt with it.

MY GOAL - is to start a line of shirts, the reason i say 20 or so shirts in each design is because I want to see how well the shirt is received before i mass produce 100+, I guess i should have said 20 at a time. I have around 5-6 designs that i am really confident in, I just need to do a market test with those "20" shirts.

My Uncertainties ??? - I REALLY love the look and feel of screen printed shirts, but I am not opposed to heat pressed shirts either. In the future i would like to use both methods, but as for now i would like to choose one or the other to get started. My funds are not unlimited.... But I am looking into the transpro 15X15 from pro world if I do decide to go heat transfer.

I was unsure as to whether or not the numerous inks, screen burning,cleaning materials would be a financially smart decision for a start-up market, test line with designs such as these.

Also I have an epson stylus 3000 that will be doing my printing either way, transparencies or transfers.

Thanks alot guys, im sure this thread can fit into multiple categories, so I tried to relate it as much as possible to one design and just provide other information about my situation as well
Brown brown black white the other stuff no one will care. Art sells not the amount of colors in it. Then set it up so the shirt is one of the colors and it becomes a 3 color job depending on the color of the shirt. Or you can halftone in the grey with the black screen. Like at 30 lpi or bigger. Gives it a "cell art" look. In fact you could do that to the whole thing. Very popular these days. so then, brown black white. Print on brown black or white now 2 color job. Think outside the box.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You. That makes alot of sense. Would you say this is a fairly safe screenprint job for a novice? With a self-made press built fromFree Four Color Screen Printing Press Plans | DIY Homemade T-Shirt Press

AND also,

I would love to hear from someone whos into transfers. I understand the process is a little more simple, but the results. Is it really a "what you see is what you get" thing with transfers?

Oh, zenprinter, I really would like to keep the color, especially on the lips. As I am marketing this to 24-35 yr old women, I would like for them to have a color to use as foundation for choosing accessories such as beaded necklaces, large earrings, etc..

Again, Thanks for helping, As I said, i dont have many supplies, but ill probably make my decision as to which direction i will start with my line before the end of tomorrow to begin placing orders for equip/materials etc.

THANKS ALOT

· Registered
42 Posts
Hey AnyMeans I have a question for you that may be a little off topic. But have you done any research as far as using her image? are there copyright issues you have to deal with?

· Registered
112 Posts
Brown brown black white the other stuff no one will care. Art sells not the amount of colors in it. Then set it up so the shirt is one of the colors and it becomes a 3 color job depending on the color of the shirt. Or you can halftone in the grey with the black screen. Like at 30 lpi or bigger. Gives it a "cell art" look. In fact you could do that to the whole thing. Very popular these days. so then, brown black white. Print on brown black or white now 2 color job. Think outside the box.
Your call. It would be cheaper and faster to put a clothing tag on it that is hip. I have a teenager who is total fashion. She wouldn't touch it. Sorry.

· Registered
2,986 Posts
Hey AnyMeans I have a question for you that may be a little off topic. But have you done any research as far as using her image? are there copyright issues you have to deal with?

Exactly what I was thinking.
I know not the question you asked, btw, screenprinting, for sure, but you'd have definite copyright infringement problems ($$$) if you print that.

But, yeah, for that look definitely screenprinting is the way to go. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.