T-Shirt Forums banner

201 - 208 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
So I've just had my second head replaced due to the loss of white channel 3. My calculated risk of not purchasing the extended warranty hoping the issue would just be a failed damper, didn't pay off because it is the head that fails. I was fortunate though and Epson have looked after me because although I was out of warranty, Epson gave me the opportunity to purchase the 2yr extended warranty albeit back dated to when my printer finished it's first year, (6 months ago).

My first head lasted 6 months, the replacement head lasted 8 months, so there's a good chance it will fail again around that time period so purchasing the extended warranty is an absolute must with the F2000. By the time the extended warranty runs out I'm hoping Epson will have addressed this problem because it won't be feasible to spend $3K fixing it every 6-8 months.

The problem seems to be with the internal filters inside the head clogging. This is why it's also important not to prolong the monthly tube flushes too much. The tech did mention he has had success clearing the blockage using a syringe and cleaning fluid to flush the head. So if there's no fix in the future that may be an option for owners out of warranty and will save $$$ not having to buy a new head in such short periods of time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have a tech coming out today because I lost all white channels. I think it's either the capping station or dampers that is the issue not quite sure. But if it's the print head this will be my third one in a year. Though this time around I think the issue is from purely environmental factors. The screen printing side of the building has been doing contract work on dye pigment shirts and it's filling the building with smoke and once that settles there is a fine layer of what I am calling shirt snow on everything in building. I went to do my head cap cleaning yesterday and saw this layer of dust on everything including on the deck of inside of the machine didn't put it all together until I did my first nozzle check and head cleaning. I'm not 100% this is the cause yet but if u have to venture a guess the shirt snow is a factor in this clog I will have to see what happens once the tech gets here today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's what has happened each time for us... lose 1 set, then more, then limp along or with colors only. I wasn't hands on with first head swap (warranty), got bit to the tune of $3k with the second ink head (replaced head, didn't fix anything, replaced duct assembly and that fixed it, but decision one charged me for a new head anyway), and recently when the same thing happened again (after a new set of whites was introduced) I was able to obtain a $300 duct assembly and changed just that and boom beautiful prints again.

So, even though Epsons order of replacement STARTS with the ink head, I'd suspect 90% are actually ink starvation at the duct. Just keep the cap stations wet with cleaning solution until you get it swapped out. Even if it is the head, they replace the duct assembly at the same time, so take the chance of saving $2k and have them do the CR DUCT ASSY replacement FIRST before opening a new head.

Best advice I got... good luck. We love our machine but it sucks depending on a machine that is UNPREDICTABLE as to when it's gonna crap out no matter how well you maintain it. Personally, I feel Epson reformulates the inks when it gets an issue and sometimes, you happen to be one of the unlucky ones who gets a bad cartridge and you start down this path. Just ask the GS6000 owners that are installing black ink filters to keep their heads clear... Remember Epson is in the print head selling business, sometimes happy customers take a back seat to that unfortunately.:(

But, I'm printing today!:)
I just had the same problem happen to me. One WH out while the other ones look fine.
I am out of warranty and formulating a strategy before calling. So my questions are, 1. should I just ask the duct to be replaced and resist costly printhead change?
2. Does duct replacement include damper replacement?
3. What does keeping the suction cap wet have to do with getting the missing WH channel to fire again? It's a maintenance tip, but it doesn't solve the current problem, correct?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #205 (Edited)
I just had the same problem happen to me. One WH out while the other ones look fine.
I am out of warranty and formulating a strategy before calling. So my questions are, 1. should I just ask the duct to be replaced and resist costly printhead change?
2. Does duct replacement include damper replacement?
3. What does keeping the suction cap wet have to do with getting the missing WH channel to fire again? It's a maintenance tip, but it doesn't solve the current problem, correct?

First of all welcome to the F2000 'out of warranty' club. Not many have gone before you... Epson will/should look after you. Quick answers to your questions...

1. Yes, tried that recently but it's not the duct. Hoped it was. The filters in the head clog.
2. The duct houses the dampers. The duct is the dampers.
3. The cap seals the head so ink can be drawn through when cleaning. It needs to be kept clean especially the drain holes. Wetting the capping station overnight stops the holes/tubes clogging with ink. The F2000 head doesn't rest on the suction cap when idle, so it doesn't have a 'wet cap' system like some printers, the head sits on the 'dry cap' station which is part of the multiple replacement part commonly known as the Head Cleaning Kit...

Edit: Thanks to Roy for schooling me on some of the info about the capping station. Team effort for those that care. The F2000 has the capability of produing amazing results but its longevity in the DTG market needs some work...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thinking outside the square.

Is the problem with the nozzles physically blocking or the electronic card thinking there is a problem and 'self-diagnose its health' and stopping electric impulses going to the white nozzles?

PrecisionCore - Epson

This is a question to find what part of the PH is stopping the white nozzles working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First of all welcome to the F2000 'out of warranty' club. Not many have gone before you... Epson will/should look after you. Quick answers to your questions...

1. Yes, tried that recently but it's not the duct. Hoped it was. The filters in the head clog.
2. The duct houses the dampers. The duct is the dampers.
3. The cap seals the head so ink can be drawn through when cleaning. It needs to be kept clean especially the drain holes. Wetting the capping station overnight stops the holes/tubes clogging with ink. The F2000 head doesn't rest on the suction cap when idle, so it doesn't have a 'wet cap' system like some printers, the head sits on the 'dry cap' station which is part of the multiple replacement part commonly known as the Head Cleaning Kit...

Thanks. So, correct me if I'm wrong, the same suction cap is used (and only used) for cleaning all 5 C, M, Y, K, W heads? So the 5 heads are cleaned one at a time.

I did notice right after WH2 went blank, I inspected the machine and found a small puddle of white ink in the "dry cap station"; the puddle is the gutter between two rubber sealer.

Is this information is helpful in debugging?

I am going to use the dental brush to clean the two holes now. I'll report what happens next.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Thinking outside the square.

Is the problem with the nozzles physically blocking or the electronic card thinking there is a problem and 'self-diagnose its health' and stopping electric impulses going to the white nozzles?

PrecisionCore - Epson

This is a question to find what part of the PH is stopping the white nozzles working.
My tech thinks it's the internal filters in the head clogging. When the head is removed and cleaning fluid is injected into it he has found that some white channels will spray as normal but some wont, they're blocked. He has had success clearing the blockages using this method so I believe it is caused by an actual physical blockage.

201 - 208 of 208 Posts