T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, I thought had things under control but oh no......

I'm transferring photos to Jet Light paper printed on my Epson C88 set on the photo or fine settings. Using white shirts with the heat set to about 350 for 15 seconds with normal pressure, after pre-pressing of course.

They look great. Then the next day I wash them inside-out at the cold setting. I dry them on low.

The transfers have little cracks on them and they seem a bit faded.

Now what the heck am I doing wrong??

I've read a lot about Iron-all. Is that the answer? And what's the plastisol all about?

Thanks in advance. You guys are the best!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
andyboy said:
And what's the plastisol all about?
Plastisol is a common type of screen printing ink. Plastisol transfers are screen printed onto a carrier paper, which is then pressed onto a garment with a heat press. Since they are screen printed they have almost all of the drawbacks of screen printing (keeping colours within budget, setup costs, etc.), so they're not necessarily suitable for what you're currently printing.

They do have certain advantages over other types of transfers if you need them at some point (they're particularly good for slogan shirts for example, since they don't leave a box, don't require intensive weeding and placement, and multiple imprints can generally be ganged onto one sheet).

Probably the main thing plastisol transfers are used for is dark clothing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi Andy,
Try letting them sit for more than 48 hours.
Are the shirt 100% cotton? Are you streching ALOT over the heat press when your pressing them? Try to let the shirts sit as though someone is wearing them..then press.

Also the jet light may not be working properly. Try a differnt type of transfer paper and see if that helps

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the shirts are 100 percent cotton.
What do you mean stretching the shirts? I just kind of put 'em on the press.

Would the cracking have anything to do with pressure or heat? I've been trying to pin that down.

If it's a paper malfunction, that's easier.

I've got a couple shirts that have been sitting for 48 hours. I'll throw in the wash and see what happens.

Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Solmu said:
Plastisol is a common type of screen printing ink. Plastisol transfers are screen printed onto a carrier paper, which is then pressed onto a garment with a heat press. Since they are screen printed they have almost all of the drawbacks of screen printing (keeping colours within budget, setup costs, etc.), so they're not necessarily suitable for what you're currently printing.quote]

Silver Mountain doesn't have setup fees.

I have had the same problems with cracking and decided to go strictly with plastisol transfers for all my shirts. I use ringspun cotton shirts and the women's style are babyrib so inkjet transfers just won't work well for me.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
SpacemanFL said:
Solmu said:
the drawbacks of screen printing (keeping colours within budget, setup costs, etc.)
Silver Mountain doesn't have setup fees.
I would have said that if they don't have setup fees upfront, they're just averaged into the price of each transfer and that you're paying them either way. And while that must be true, looking at their actual prices... they do seem quite cheap. I compared them to a screenprinter who charges setup fees, and at the low end (6-24) it would be cheaper to go with the screenprinter, but after that it would actually be slightly cheaper to go with Silver Mountain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts