T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today my new Hix swingman arrived so I set it up and trying it out. Well nothing is happening at all. I set the temp to the recommended 375 and held it down for 9 seconds and nothing came off at all. I have tightened the tension four times and tried again each time and still nothing, just a white shirt.

I know it is probably something dumb, but is there a logical explanation? I could understand if some of it was coming off, but not entirely, but in my case nothing, nada. I am baffled.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the temperature knob is messed up. It kind of gets tight and then goes real loose while turning. I turned it past even the off button and it seemed to get hotter, so it probably wasn't at 375 before. Then when I pressed it some of the color came out fin another part very light, and still another part part of the paper pulled of the transfer. Not a very pretty sight. Frustrating and discouraging for my first shirt with a brand new machine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are you letting the press reach it's full desired temperature before you press? What type of transfer are you using? What material is the shirt? Is your transfer screen printed or sublimated?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I waited until the temp light went off indicatinf it had reached the desired temp.

I am using a transfer I bought from Springhill

The shirt is a Gildan 2000 6.1oz cotton.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been having the same problems. I am using a new Ricoma press from Heat press nation.
I purchased transfers from Springhill, Brand Book t, Pro World. Some of the packages do not
have temp/pressure instructions nor do they say they are plastisol or sublimation. How can we tell? I have ruined at least 5 shirts and also tried on plain white cotton fabric, some were
successful, but others were not. I orders and IR thermoter to check the new press. I did call Heat press nation, they gave me some help and info on adjusting the pressure but that didn't help. I have increased the temp up to 400 deg. and increased the time. Are you able to reheat a transfer once you have already tried at least twice?
Help>please> it is so so frustrating

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It sounds like it is some type of issue with the transfers. I would contact where you purchased them from and ask them to troubleshoot for you.

Also, just to be safe I would test my heat press for even heat and pressure. In the case of the new press, I would ask Hix if they would be willing to send you some heat press test strips to check your machine as you are having some trouble.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it turns out the temperature knob was just loose and just slipping. I was able to properly align it and then tighten it. Now it seems to work properly. Hopefully that is all it was, and I wont have any more trouble.

Thanks for all those that offered advice.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When using heat presses always have a non contact thermometer. One with a laser beam.
Heat presses always require calibration and you should always check the tempreture every day escpecially when using different materials.

·
Registered
39 Posts
mabuzi is right on. The laser thermometer is a lifesaver. You can ake two readings. one with the open clamshell and the other, press for about 15 seconds and then open and test. The temperatures are more stable this way. I found by dividing the upper clam shell into parts, on paper, you can really see what is going on. I divided the edges, all the way around into 10 sections. two on each end and three on the top and bottom. Then I sectioned off the center of the press. three across the top and three across the bottom. Then I took my eadins and ran a comparison. I found that I had 6 of the 10 edges below my heat requirements of 375 f. I found one top center to be under as well. the others were all 20 degrees over. Needless to say, this cannot be calibrated. If you lower the high ones you also lower the under performing ones. A losing situation. The disparity is too great. I went back to the seller to honor his warranty. Litigation may be the only way. I will of course conact the city attorney of his town, the states attorney general, ebay and this forum when we have our final talks. When you buy a product it should operate the way it was advertised. The surface square inches of a 15 x 15 is 225 sq inches. A 16 x 20 is 320 sq inches. This unit had used 20% of my surface heat. This was/is a 16x20 new press. I have orders to fill and cannot do so. I'm late on some deadlines and have begged for an extension. Play hardball and take your chances.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts