T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Hey Burby :)

First thing I noticed on my monitor (resolution: 1028x768) is that you have some side scrolling (which isn't good). You may want to make the design fit on smaller monitors (at least 800x600).

The art itself is pretty darn cool! A little different and it has that "simple.cool" feeling.

I would put the sizing chart (and shipping costs) right on the product page, so the customer doesn't have search for it or leave the "add to cart button" page to get all the information they need.

I'd also put the shirt brand, how soft the shirts are, what weight they are, and all that good stuff right in the product description on the add to cart page to further convice the shopper that they REALLY want your shirt (and why it's worth $22...which I think they are :)).

The site looks great overall. The layout, colors really go with the look of your t-shirts.

Last thing I would suggest would be to add a newsletter to the site (maybe using www.constantcontact.com) so people can signup and learn about new designs and specials you may run on your site. It's a great to build an email list to market to "the right way" :)

Good luck on your site!

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
One more thing: you may also want to add HOW your shirts are printed on either your INFO page or on each product page.

Customers seem to want to know that.

Put it in the most positive language as possible (professinally screen printed/using the latest digital transfer technology/high quality transfers professionally applied to the shirts/etc)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot you guys,

I will add product info to the product pages. And I'm working on the wholesale set-up too.

I really appreciate your input !

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again everyone. I'm happy to finally have the site up and running. With some minor changes, it will be a finely tuned selling machine !

I'm off to Forestburg, Alberta tomorrow morning. (Pop. ~980 ) I'm going to see if I can suss out the market there.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
kentphoto said:
I am using Paypal at the moment for my checkout. I wanted to know, how you can add additional shipping rates, for Europe/Asia, etc?
one simple way to do it without major config. is to have a Shipping options page come up when the user clicks to Checkout. On this page you can have various shipping options for the user to choose from.

So they choose the shipping method/order service, this function would be the same as selling an item, but it would be a shipping charge Item.

The form Action on click would then take the user to the Actual Checkout/payment process page.

It sounds more complicated then what it is.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
kentphoto said:
I am using Paypal at the moment for my checkout. I wanted to know, how you can add additional shipping rates, for Europe/Asia, etc?
Some people that are only using the Paypal cart have International buyers add an extra shipping charge to their shopping cart with another button. Not exactly the "best" way, but it is an easy way. Shopping Cart software will usually have stuff like this built in, but that would largely require a re-design of the whole site and may not be worth it.

Now, as far as the site goes: Nice overall. Now it's time for my traditional list of minor things that seem a little off for the site to me ;)

The Paypal Cart page is bright green. This is pretty annoying, and not consistent with the white background of the main site either.

Speaking of Paypal - it looks like you are saying that you don't need a Paypal account to buy shirts, yet the shopping cart lands people on a page where they are asked only to sign in with Paypal; not the page where you can either login or just do a credit card transaction.

Rodney already tocuhed on this one, but you do not want horizontal scrollbars. At the very least, never have them on 1024x768 resolution; ideally, not on 800x600 resolution (about 15% of the net is still using this low resolution).

I would suggest adding alt text to the images if you get a chance (relevant to the picture - not a list of keywords). Search engines like alt text.

Very minor indeed, but it seems a little odd to me that the exclamation marks come with an extra space before them ;)

The change in the location of the information is a bit odd, though I don't have a good suggestion for how to change it offhand. I'm referring to the info page versus the contact page for example - some pages have info on the left, others have it in the middle, others have it on both.

Your header image of the bird is not clickable to return to the main page in the info and contact section (though it is in about).

You may want to look into something like SSI ("Server Side Includes", which are actually really easy to use, though it may take a little learning if you don't edit your own html files) to make the header portion of the site consistent and easily changeable - instead of having to change it on every single page. You could also use SSI in the all the individual product pages so that they are easier to edit (or use javascript to change the image only instead of the whole page - though of course not everyone leaves javascript turned on).

You can do other things besides SSI of course (php, etc.), but SSI is probably the easiest to implement depending on your web editing skills.

There we are, hopefully some of that helps improve on an already good site.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Twinge said:
The Paypal Cart page is bright green. This is pretty annoying, and not consistent with the white background of the main site either.

Speaking of Paypal - it looks like you are saying that you don't need a Paypal account to buy shirts, yet the shopping cart lands people on a page where they are asked only to sign in with Paypal; not the page where you can either login or just do a credit card transaction.
Thanks for the input. I did change the bright green Paypal page to white. I'm not sure why the PAypal page asks people to log in. I see a page where it gives you the two options.

I'm still working on the suggestions people have given me, so we'll see how it shapes out.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Speaking of paypal..

you also have to host that image you have as the paypal header on a secure sever. If you don't you will get this message "the page contains non-secure items..do you want to continue.

This might kill a sale is someone is reluctant to put their CC info on a page that has this message

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
kentphoto said:
Thanks for the input. I did change the bright green Paypal page to white. I'm not sure why the PAypal page asks people to log in. I see a page where it gives you the two options.

I'm still working on the suggestions people have given me, so we'll see how it shapes out.
Hmm, I guess it is there - it just requires an extra click at the bottom. I really thought it went directly to the page offering both options, but I just double-checked on mine and it doesn't :/ I wonder if there's a way to adjust that...

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
This might kill a sale is someone is reluctant to put their CC info on a page that has this message
VERY good point Ken. I see this on a lot of t-shirt sites and it is definitely a turnoff for a new shopper not knowing what "your site is not secure" popup message really means.

You can see if your webhost will allow you access to your secure server, see if you have a friend that can host the image on their secure server, or just use text like Lucy said.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Hi Kent. Your site is pretty nice. It loads really quick, which is great. I like the informal style type and the color scheme, it showcases your designs well and it looks cute and simple.

One thing I would add is a "Home" link at the top of the page. Calling it "Shop" is confusing because many sites have seperate "Home" pages and "Shop" pages, and not everyone knows you can click on the Burby bird to go back to the main page as well.

There are a few grammatical/punctuation errors in your front page text blurb. All the text should be the same size and color (This is really not about grammar but about design). Your exclamation points should not be separated from the last letter of your sentence. "T-shirts" should only be capitalized if it is the first word in a sentence.

I am a little confused by your tag line and your text on the front page. "T-shirts for everyone". Of course t-shirts are for everyone, everyone wears the darn things.

- Are you trying to say that everyone will enjoy your shirts? This isn't true of course, many people will like them, but many people won't.

- Are you trying to say that your t-shirt designs are "kid-friendly", i.e. non-offensive and appropriate for kids as well as adults?

- Are you trying to say that your t-shirt designs are available in all sizes?

My point is, I really don't understand what "T-shirts for everyone" means. Please clarify. :)

On each page for your shirts, you have a LOT of options for size and color. I can tell that you have tried to make it simple to understand with the color chart and everything, but it is still complicated for the average user.

On your sizing drop-down, the first option should not be "*Womens" it should be "Size" or "Please select..." and then "Women's" should be underneath that. And lose the ***'s, they are not helpful.

The colors drop down should also say "Colors" or "Please select..." as the first option.

Your price box should be between the colors drop-down and the "Add to Cart" button. It is also too colorful - Either make it red on white or black on white. Lose the purple. Add "All sizes" so people know they are paying the same amount for an adult's shirt as a kid's shirt.

The little blurb about the shirt design doesn't need a grey background. Just make it white like the page.

For your color chart, instead of having the legend with hard-to-read tiny gray text of "W, M, K" next to each color box, I would make three simple sections under the main picture instead.

Colors available in Women's sizes:
blue box, pink box, yellow box, etc etc

Colors available in Men's sizes:
blue box, brown box, yellow box, etc etc

Colors available in Kid's sizes:
blue box, pink box, green box, etc etc

Also, some pages have pics with models and some don't. You really should get pics with models on every single page, even if you have to pay for models! Also, the thumbnails should be larger, and the main pic should be clickable to pop up a larger version.

I like your About page. It could be worded a little better (if you find you have too many commas in a sentence it probably means you need to split it into two sentences) but it's good for now.

Your FAQ page is great. Lots of useful info. Good job!

Your contact page should have a phone number or physical address to go with the email address. People should feel like they are doing business with a "real" company. If you don't want to give out your home address you can get a "real" address from the post office.

A nice addition to your site would be a list of retail stores where the shirts are sold (when you have some), and also some quotes from your customers about how much they love your shirts. You could either put the quotes in one page or put the quote for each shirt with the specific design (i.e. "I love my Folk Bot shirt!!!" on the folk bot page)

Anyway I think that is about all I can think of for now, and some other people have already covered the paypal cart thing so I won't say anything about that.

Otherwise, great site.. See ya around :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jasonda said:
I am a little confused by your tag line and your text on the front page. "T-shirts for everyone". Of course t-shirts are for everyone, everyone wears the darn things.

- Are you trying to say that everyone will enjoy your shirts? This isn't true of course, many people will like them, but many people won't.

- Are you trying to say that your t-shirt designs are "kid-friendly", i.e. non-offensive and appropriate for kids as well as adults?

- Are you trying to say that your t-shirt designs are available in all sizes?

My point is, I really don't understand what "T-shirts for everyone" means. Please clarify. :)
Basically I didn't want to pigeon hole myself into one particular niche. Imagine some guy standing out on the street yelling" T-shirts for everyone!"
Burby Shirts is meant to be fun and not serious, and hopefully will appeal to kids and adults. There is no real set subject matter or theme. Hopefully there will be a something for everyone...

Jasonda said:
On each page for your shirts, you have a LOT of options for size and color. I can tell that you have tried to make it simple to understand with the color chart and everything, but it is still complicated for the average user.
Jasonda said:
For your color chart, instead of having the legend with hard-to-read tiny gray text of "W, M, K" next to each color box, I would make three simple sections under the main picture instead.
The color options was a feature I really struggled with. And it was a lot of work. Do I limit the colors? or provide many options? I show 12 options, and I guess I'm utilizing the benefits of printing with a heat press. I can offer options, so why not. I was hoping the layout/functionality of the sample colors would be simple for the users, and in time I may simplify this color chart.

Jasonda said:
Add "All sizes" so people know they are paying the same amount for an adult's shirt as a kid's shirt.
Good one, I am changing this.

So many good points everyone, thanks, and I'll get working on the Burby Shirts 2.0 site. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts