T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this feels weird to be posting... I've been reading these forums for nearly a year trying to soak up as much information as possible, and yet this is the first time I've ever posted. I just want to say that I absolutely love you guys on these forums... most of you are so helpful and kind. So hi everyone :) My name is Nate and I own a clothing company in Chicago called Head Vs. Heart.

As I'm in the middle of a most frustrating experience with my screen printer (seriously... 2 weeks to respond to an email? Not returning phone calls and messages? Not giving a quote despite approval of my artwork and multiple requests both over email and the phone for a quote? I will take my business elsewhere, thank you very much... grrr), I've had the last week or so to program my upcoming site.

A few things before I ask for your advice... First, right now the site is most definitely a design in progress. What better time to change things than while it's in the middle of being built? I'm still playing around with the placement of things, the fonts, etc. Please keep that in mind. I know that right now there is very little content, and I haven't set up my shopping cart yet (I'll most likely be using Substruct... I've searched high and low for reviews/thoughts/opinions of it on here and haven't found a thing... it's a free open source Ruby On Rails cart, for those of you that are interested). So any comments about lack of content, SEO, meta tags, etc are much appreciated but are preaching to the choir, so to speak, because I'm well aware of those remaining issues (geez, I'm a bit defensive, aren't I? I suppose I'm just nervous to show my work :))

I've also never designed a website ever in my life before. I decided to not use a pre-made template and learned how to program it all line by line myself... though I haven't much of a clue about what I'm doing. The reason is because I don't want my site to look like every other t-shirt site that uses a similar template, and I feel that coming up with an original site design may be a good way to do that.

A bit about my target market... I will be marketing my company as a high end t-shirt company. Luxury t-shirts, if you will. It will be geared towards the urban artsy crowd and people who are willing to spend money on clothes that make them look good. I'm shooting for the 18-30 year old age range. I want to visually convey my company as being a hip, young, high end company.

*whew*...

ok. So. I'm looking for reviews not of the content of the site right now because it's nearly non-existent (but will be soon, I hope). Just look at the contact page for example... It's just fake info for now... I'm going to wait to put up my pertinent information until the real site is up and I move on from this test site, since this test site isn't intended for the public. So I'm looking for general reviews regarding the layout, usability, and functionality of the site. I basically just want to test out the programing and CSS on you all right now. I'm an Apple computer user, and have been able to test the site in Firefox and Safari, but have no way to test it in Internet Explorer. So I'd like feedback from you IE users especially regarding the layout and usability.

Also, I know the layout is a bit unusual... Is it too weird? Too distracting? Too heavily skewed to the left? Or does it all seem cohesive and to work together?

I own my company's domain name of headvsheart.net, but am not using it right now. The link I'm posting is my own personal domain that I'm using to test the clothing website on... so here it is: http://www.natehinners.com

And if you're curious about my designs, you can view Flickr pictures of them here: First Production Run - a set on Flickr

Hmm... this may have been my first post, but I seem to have made up for it by writing a small novel... Thanks for your endurance and patience :)

· Registered
152 Posts
I really like the site, very clean, simple, easy to use and looks good. You also have a good start on the designs, I really like the heart logo and the vampire girl made me laugh (dont know if thats good or bad to you) , but not about laughing at the design just thought it was funny.

I think you got a great start and Im looking forward to seeing your progression.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! The Vampire Woman... people have all sorts of reactions to it. So as long as you liked it, I'm happy :)

I noticed you're in Florida... any experience with a screen printing company in Orlando called ShirtWorks? I was speaking to them today since I'm now in the market for a new screen printer, but I can't find any information about them online and they are seemingly without a website...

· Registered
152 Posts
Thanks! The Vampire Woman... people have all sorts of reactions to it. So as long as you liked it, I'm happy :)

I noticed you're in Florida... any experience with a screen printing company in Orlando called ShirtWorks? I was speaking to them today since I'm now in the market for a new screen printer, but I can't find any information about them online and they are seemingly without a website...
I am about 10-15 mins away from Orlando, I have not used that printer before, but I do offer printing with my other business besides my online store and clothing line.

· Registered
388 Posts
I like your site, and designs are coo..
One problem I saw was that the top line of text was cutoff for EVERY link I clicked.

Just one idea I had, but maybe you should push your information over to the left hand side of your page and when you click a link it loads your page/designs/etc on the right side.

Overall, clean layout well done for a handmade page.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your feedback so far everyone! I really appreciate it. It's helpful and encouraging to see the hard work and long hours that went into programming it being appreciated.

Is anyone having the same problem that krylonking had? I just fiddled with the margins and padding and hopefully I fixed it...

So krylon, if you happen to read this thread again, is it still a problem for you? And thanks for your idea. It's something I'll consider.

I think the problem may have happened because I programmed the site so that everything scales to the size of your browser window... so I tried to find a happy medium to fix krylon's issue...

Please keep comments and suggestions coming, if you'd be so kind. I'm really grateful for them :)

· Registered
388 Posts
looks great in Fire fox now no problems.. and I even opened IE (barf) for you and I have some bad news, IE seems to pixelate your logo/link to blog and when you click on any link on the main page a large red box flashes on the right side of the screen where the image is. I dont know if this is a background color or something flashing up while the image loads, but it is distracting and ugly.. by FF still looks great so maybe just tell everyone to convert to FF lol.. hope this helps.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks great in Fire fox now no problems.. and I even opened IE (barf) for you and I have some bad news, IE seems to pixelate your logo/link to blog and when you click on any link on the main page a large red box flashes on the right side of the screen where the image is. I dont know if this is a background color or something flashing up while the image loads, but it is distracting and ugly.. by FF still looks great so maybe just tell everyone to convert to FF lol.. hope this helps.
whoa... uh... weird. thanks so much for telling me that!! AHH! Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do... i think i can fix that red box thing pretty easily though... i'm pretty sure i know what the problem is.

looks like I have my work cut out for me tomorrow...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.