T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding XD

But one has a nasty scortch mark. And the homemade remedy of peroxide or a little water and white vinegar- HAS NOT WORKED!

What do I do now?

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
859 Posts
peroxide only will work for very slight scorches. it sounds like yours is now a rag!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I guess it is. That's happened three times with a 50/50 shirt. I have printed a bunch of 100% cotton shirts that didn't scortch. R 50/50 shirts prone to scortch marks from a heat gun?

And what's up with my plastisol ink here? Is that cuz of the 50/50 too?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Yeah I guess it is. That's happened three times with a 50/50 shirt. I have printed a bunch of 100% cotton shirts that didn't scortch. R 50/50 shirts prone to scortch marks from a heat gun?

And what's up with my plastisol ink here? Is that cuz of the 50/50 too?
I would guess that it would have less to do with the shirt and more to do with using a heat gun, with a heat gun you really have little control over how hot your getting a given area of the shirt, it'd totally dependent on the distance and amount of time you heat a area.....but then again a 50/50 shirt with the poly content would be more apt to scorch then cotton IMHO.

I would think that 100% cotton would be more forgiving.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the heat gun sucks but it's all I have right now. I did another shirt and it came out pretty good.

Does anyone use scortch remover from Ryonet? What is it exactly?

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
how are you able to tell if you have cured the shirt? are you just guessing when it starts smoking? the only way to use a heat gun would be if you had an infrared thermometer in the other hand lol.

btw, if it is the shirts toward the end that are burning i would look at the surface you are laying the shirts on when you cure. if the surface holds heat, then it is getting hotter faster and faster as you cure and causing your shirt to be hotter behind the ink than it is on top and causing you to burn the shirt even though you used your heat gun for the same amount of time you did on every other shirt.

i have carpet on my cure table to reduce this.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah I have a temp gun. It's just the poopy 50/50 blend that's tempermental with burning! :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh yeah I have a temp gun. It's just the poopy 50/50 blend that's tempermental with burning! :(

that's because the cotton can withstand a higher temperature than polyester are you stopping at 325 on your temp gun? i've seen cotton go as high as 425 with white ink and not cause scorching. for stuff with an underbase you will want to stop at like 350 to ensure that the backside of the ink is hitting 325.

in any case, having something to absorb and reduce the heat on the backside should help. if you are curing on a platen for example you could easily burn shirts because it retains heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts