T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking to my girlfriend on the phone a few days ago, and she was drinking some sake. I draw about 8000 sketches a day of graphic ideas, and I drew a quick one of a sake bottle next to a sake glass. I labeled it "Sake It To Me." Today I was in Target, looking at cheap storage containers, and I glanced at the tees. To my surprise, there, right in front of me was a single-color silk screened shirt with a picture of a sake bottle next to a sake glass, just as I had it, and it was labeled "Sake 2 Me." What are the chances of this??? It kind of freaked me out. I guess there are so many people making so many tees that ideas will be duplicated all over the place.

I wasn't all that excited about my sake design, so I don't really care that the idea was taken, BUT if I had already made the design and sold it, and THEN seen it in the store, I would have been POSITIVE that it was stolen from me! :eek:

How strange.:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ShopaholicChick said:
every design is slightly different and sometimes someone might like yours better then the one at target or some other store...
Nah...that's way too similar for my tastes. I don't want anything even remotely that close to someone else's work. I wasn't crazy about it anyway. Most of my designs don't feature words and are more art-oriented and often feature distinctive visual tricks in place of words. Someday I'll have the stuff up...I'm working like a demon on it.

Anyone else have a story like this?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Not directly, but these things are interesting. Sometimes you see something and forget about it, and later recreate it yourself thinking it's brand new. Or, equally odd (and unnerving) is when you and someone else do come up with nearly exactly the same idea!

I've had things like that happen to me before, but not with t-shirt designs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it definitely happens where you will see something and then think that you thought of it later. George Harrison was sued and famously claimed that he had "subconsciously plagiarized" the song "He's So Fine" when he wrote the song "My Sweet Lord." Anyone who ever wrote any music knows how easy it is to accidentally do this. I Don't THINK that's what happened to me though, because I never really look at that style of tee, for one thing, and I drew the picture and wrote several goofy labels for it before I came up with that one. Who knows though, it certainly is possible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Aaaaw, thats really frustrating XD
It makes me wonder,though...

If 2 different tshirt labels do a parody of a famous logo/slogan, and even though the parody itself is not exactly the same, they do look similar (cuz they are parodying the same thing) will one have right to sue the other?

Even if they are parodying/kinda infringing someone else's work?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
3leches said:
If 2 different tshirt labels do a parody of a famous logo/slogan, and even though the parody itself is not exactly the same, they do look similar (cuz they are parodying the same thing) will one have right to sue the other?

Even if they are parodying/kinda infringing someone else's work?
Probably not, but maybe - you can try to sue for anything these days.

Parody isn't nearly as legally protected as a lot of people tend to think it is - especially when you're profiting from the parody. There are reasons Weird Al asks permission from the songwriters before he makes a parody song for example ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's hard to find coincidences in the design word, but that happens. I had a design that's is pretty similar to one of my competitor, but I did not copied and he didnt either.

Keep your mind working... more ideas are waiting for you...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not directly, but these things are interesting. Sometimes you see something and forget about it, and later recreate it yourself thinking it's brand new. Or, equally odd (and unnerving) is when you and someone else do come up with nearly exactly the same idea!

I've had things like that happen to me before, but not with t-shirt designs.

you would be surprised at how well the brain retains things that you think it doesnt. you may not remember seeing that shirt, but it doesnt mean you havent

·
Registered
27 Posts
Weird. The mind does play tricks on us sometimes. But I used to come up with very similar ideas to another designer I worked with - and not on themes we had been discussing. We'd just come up with similar ideas even though we are on opposite sides of the ocean. But it's a bummer if you come up with a cool design and then see someone else has already done it! Best to google your idea first before spending too much time on it!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was talking to my girlfriend on the phone a few days ago, and she was drinking some sake. I draw about 8000 sketches a day of graphic ideas, and I drew a quick one of a sake bottle next to a sake glass. I labeled it "Sake It To Me." Today I was in Target, looking at cheap storage containers, and I glanced at the tees. To my surprise, there, right in front of me was a single-color silk screened shirt with a picture of a sake bottle next to a sake glass, just as I had it, and it was labeled "Sake 2 Me." What are the chances of this??? It kind of freaked me out. I guess there are so many people making so many tees that ideas will be duplicated all over the place.

I wasn't all that excited about my sake design, so I don't really care that the idea was taken, BUT if I had already made the design and sold it, and THEN seen it in the store, I would have been POSITIVE that it was stolen from me! :eek:

How strange.:)

8000 sketches a day...Wow...Impressive...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts