T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few weeks ago about how I was trying to make name badges with an all black background and the flaw rate was incredible with the coating flaking off and spots along the edges where the dye didn't stick.

a conde employee posted there were some flawed batches so I bought some from them.

They were MUCH better but still had a few that were flawed. in experimenting I realized with them it was probably me. someone had suggested to get the clear coat off to put it up against the platen for a second. I found out that was causing the coating on that corner I peeled to lift off so now I am using a piece of the coating to peel it off and that just about cured all problems (haven't tried the flawed batch I had to see if any are usable).

ok so now I just started the iphone cases. have already sold about 25 and they are wonderful

EXCEPT

hahaha, someones logo they wanted on it. the logo has an all black background. this time there is no flaws on the edges and I don't use heat to peel the coating off (usually can just roll with pad of thumb) but now i am getting a very small speck of white here and there.

I'm talking most of the time maybe the size of 3 or 4 pinheads but noticeable against the black. this was a woman (no put down as I am one too) and this was a gift to someone and she wanted it perfect. I've done five now and they all have a speck.

I started looking and on at least one I could even see on the printed image before transferring it that there was a speck or two.

so do I need to switch papers? I use coastal business paper and have been absolutely happy with it, no complaints here. but do I need to try something else for these all black background items? this is frustrating.

hope someone can help. this ONLY happens on this one design and its not on the image as the white spot is random where it appears. I may have to resort to a magic marker !

thank you,

Melinda

· Registered
618 Posts
Is your work/print area tidy/clean? - could a speck of dust/dirt be on the paper before the printer sprays its inks onto it?
Does your printer/printed pages show signs of these missing specks at other times?
Do you have another printer in the same room - does this have the same problem?

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks pisquee

I don't have another printer or at least not a ricoh. I have a couple of epson 1400s with claria ink and never get this with them but I don't think I've ever done a solid black background. will have to try them.

no, I'm never seeing that on other colors. but then these specks are so tiny maybe I can't see them on the other colors but they are there?

there could certainly be some specks on the printer paper. do I need to keep the paper store in (something) instead of sitting in the printer tray? I guess I need to vaccum that tray regularly? darn, thats something I never really gave any thought to. but these specks on the black are new, the other was only along the edges and I'm pretty sure it was a combination of bad batch and me contributing to it.

thanks again. I'm going to have to do some vacuuming and try some paper from a new package to see if that changes things. I'm thinking I may have to refuse all black designs ! :(

Melinda

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi uncletee, definitely will start cleaning though I thought that was the purpose of the clear film? to protect it. but still I'm desperate, lol.

by cut it close are you saying cut out the print out as close to the image as possible before subbing? are you thinking its somehow the white part of the paper floating around during the process?

thanks alot.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried several more of this *** black logo. out of six printed all had small white specks on them.

Should I try someone elses covers like condes sublicover? Has anyone else done a solid black or design with large black section on these covers and had issues? this is really frustrating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.