T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my hotronix swinger died last night. cracked off at the base that connects the 2 platens and the top platen literally fell off the table. i had another one that i hadn't used in 10 years and can't get it to go past "hello" in the computer read out to engage the heating element (will call hotronix later to see about that problem and if they can solve it).
that being said..since buying the hotronix for my business 18 years ago i had a problem with the pressure on this machine. i had to replace the block twice myself at the beginning. while trying to up the pressure, the inside block had cracked. i had solved that problem early on by finding a paper that required very little pressure. when the newer color copier machines went to oil-less paper that company stopped producing the paper i used for my older canon color copier, i had to revert to other papers that required much heavier pressure. thus the machine cracking. so here's the question...has anyone had that same problem with hotronix pressure? though i loved the machine and it's ease to use (as a woman not needing as much strength to open and close it) i am afraid to purchase another one and go through these same problems. has anyone used the Hix SwingMan 20P? had any pressure problems with it? i assume there aren't as many pressure probelms with clams but i just can't use that for what i'm printing,

any help or advise you can give me would be appreciated.

· Registered
10,809 Posts
We have been selling both Hotronix and Hix for many years and have not had any complaints regarding the machines providing heavy pressure. I think that you will find that the newer technologies provide equipment that is much easier to use.

· Registered
3,906 Posts
If the machine was purchased 18 years ago, I'd say you got some good use out of it. Time to get a new one anyhow. As far as I know the only time you can't use a clam is when pressing glass or ceramics. The hotronix fusion has a drawer and a swing arm so it does both, but not as a clam. The clams have their own issues. I prefer the swing aways but have both.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm not complaining about the 18 years of use. that machine was a work horse and i loved it. i'm more upset that i had to switch papers because that paper is no longer produced and printed flawlessly every time. not so with any other paper i have found and tried on the market. but knowing the problems i had with the pressure on the older hotronix i am reluctant to buy another one for fear of the same thing happening again. just wondering if anyone had that pressure problem with the hix swinger. the newer hotronix is just way too out of my price range at the moment.

· Registered
3,906 Posts
The swingman that I have has manual pressure and I can clamp down pretty hard on it. You might want to consider getting a different printer too. I'm not sure what kind of ink a canon copier uses, but most of us use the epson printers with pigment ink. I've never had a problem with any of my images not coming out perfectly, so I'm not really sure what you mean. I use medium to firm pressure and have used everything from JPSS to cheapo transfers from office max and haven't had any issues. The only kinds of inkjet transfers I haven't tried are the ones for dark fabrics. Is your copier an inkjet or laser?

· Registered
184 Posts
As for your older Hotronix you can't get past hello.
Call them, there is a series of 3 buttons to get past that. It has just lost its memory usually due to dead or unworking battery. We have an old one and have to turn it on that way all the time.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for posting this, last night in desperation after my knight swinger died and I hauled out my "94 hotronix I tried " CEEE" and it WORKED. Have to do every time I turn on but at least have working machine till can get new or repair!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.