T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I just finished building my flash dryer. I thought I would post some pictures here. They help some one in the future.

I bought the IR element from Intec. I also got the insulation, the wire, and ceramic wire nuts from Intec. The total was just over $200 with shipping.
The panel is 18"x18", the insulation is 2 layers of 1" for a 2" total.
I made the housing out of 1/8" steel L bar, and 20ga steel plating.The housing measures 24"x 18.5"x3". I used a 20amp light switch to turn it on and off. It has a 10' 12ga power cord. The panel had some weight to it and the front leaned forward, so I added a eye bolt and a cable to straiten it back up( To make it level). I also use this point to move it when it is on because the dog-bone does not get hot.
I made the stand out of a 8' 2"x4", a 3/4" steel pipe, a 1/2" steel pipe, a 5/16" thumb screw and 4 2" casters.

I plan to use this flash dryer to do my final cure too. So I built a table that rotates to hold the shirts. I can spin it and never have too put my arm/hands under the dryer.

The element is hot. it is 1,000* +/- 50* I don't know what other elements temps are.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Good work,
Looks well crafted. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
1000°??

WOW, my 16x16 intec panel only hits about 725° or so at the hottest.

You'll have to be really careful flashing with that, and I'm guessing you're gonna cure with it also.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1000°??

WOW, my 16x16 intec panel only hits about 725° or so at the hottest.

You'll have to be really careful flashing with that, and I'm guessing you're gonna cure with it also.
Yeah it's hot! from what i can tell. flash units run around 500-600*
yes i am going to cure with it too. i burnt a shirt sleeve with it yesterday. it looks like i have to find the right distance to cure at.
i was using it to flash at 2" above the platen, and 5-6 seconds was working well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very nice work. It will probably take a few shirts to figure out the perfect distance and time for the final cure!

When I get ready to start screen printing I will look into the parts you got! Great idea!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Blackwater:
Can you list the INTEK part number used? Was it a raw element and you built the steel box? Or was it enclosed in the box by INTEK?

They just sent me a price list that was $275 for the ir heater panel of this size.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
INDIVIDUAL REPLACEMENT HEATING ELEMENTS
18” x 18” 120V/1950W/18A (f) - $178

it was just the panel I did my own metal work

·
Registered
63 Posts
i followed your advise and got a heater panel mines 220 volts it cures my t shirts fast. i have my friend help me but testing every t shirt with the temp gun. i can probally do 30 to 40 a hour shirts with mine. my pannel warms up in 2 to 4 minutes max

1 - 20 of 22 Posts