T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally was able to make some shirts using Spectra EcoFilm and Reflective together for a customer.

It was quite an experience...remembering to reverse everything (I come from a sign background). Then remembering which temperature to lay down first...

Anyway...I wanted to say thanks everyone...it was your posts that I read to be able to feel comfortable enough to make this all happen.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product for the customer...

Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah... It seemed to go well. Again, I have tons of experience laying vinyl...so aligning everything was pretty simple... Although, starting with the Reflect made it a little more tricky...the front Hawgz logo is pretty small to have to lay down first and then hope that everything else lines up ok ;)

Washed well... I have done some other shirts in just the Reflect and they all are great....
Had one problem with an "Older" shirt that was about 1 year "used" before design was added. It started to peel after first wash. I am wondering if it was because of fabric softeners or something else in it's past wash and dry cycles... Then again...it was one of my first practice shirts...so maybe I forgot something too ;)

Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I am sure that I will find my share of problems :)

But, so far...with only a couple of colors and a couple of vinyl types...all has been good!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I don't want to open a can of worms, but the design looks a lot like the Harley Logo. They are very persistent at protecting their LOGO. I just wanted to make you aware of this. I heard of a guy getting in trouble for selling Jackets that were orange and black(with no lettering). I really like the design a lot and you did a awesome job on the placement. I just wanted to caution you about Harley. .... JB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What am supposed to do with all of these worms all over the ground? ;) Thanks for the info and thanks for the compliment on my first multi layer project.

I learned a long time ago to absolve myself from customer provided design copy write issues. While it isn't the nicest thing to explain to a customer, I do ask them to sign a copy write protection policy sheet prior to any work. It basically states that any custom design that I create is copy write protected as intellectual property and may be used by the customer at my discretion. If they feel the need to "OWN" the design, they may do so by paying for all design or logo fees (determined before signing). It also states that any customer provided design is provided by the customer and they accept the full responsibility of obtaining all permissions if utilizing a copy write protected design.

I started doing this after doing some sign work for a John Deere implement dealer that wanted some directional signs in their lot. After completion of the work, I received notice from JD corporate that I had used their logo illegally. I explained the situation and they were very, very NOT INTERESTED. I asked how I am to protect myself from such a thing happening again? They passed on some info to me about the sheet that I now use. I contacted my attorney and he said that by the customer signing the sheet, I am absolved from the responsibility of using their designs. It doesn't make using copywrite protected logos or designs legal, just puts the responsibility on the owner/ customer requesting to use it to get all permissions from the owner of said designs and logos.

And here is the bad part of me... If I find a design or logo that looks created by a local designer, I look into it by contacting them. If they have proof that it is their design, I refuse the work from the customer... Otherwise, on larger corporate logos... I explain that they are responsible for obtaining the info if they don't have it and usually do the work... like I said...the bad part of me. Just being honest.

Andy

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Hey Andy, Nice job. With the forgetting to mirror cut. I use post it notes on the cutter, and sometimes on the roll of transfer material. This way I remember when I load the cutter.

Is it possible to send a copy of that disclosure. I could use a good document.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts