T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I'm nervous I won't sell much at all and equally that I'll sell out long before the show is over because I don't have that much inventory.
The first is a problem, but that's the risk you face. The second isn't really a problem - so long as you have enough inventory that if you sell a reasonable amount of it you make enough money to justify being there.

In other words if you want to make $500 for the day and selling half your inventory would do that, selling all of it early isn't a problem. You can give your stall space to the person next to you (they'll probably be quite happy about that), or spend the rest of the time marketing, talking about your products, and taking orders.

Being so popular you sell out is the problem everybody wants. That's not to say it isn't a problem, but at the same time it's the problem that isn't a problem, if you catch my drift.

I'm thinking to make either a product book or some kind of flyer to show off all of my printed designs. I'm not sure if people will want to stop long enough to really look through the book, but not sure if a flyer will get through enough info.
Not many people will stop to look at a book. But some will. Almost nobody will look through more than a few pages. A few enthusiastic weirdos will if your product and presentation are good enough (nothing wrong with that). Basically if you have the time for the book and can do it affordably, there's no harm. They're a particularly good substitute if you can only bring a portion of your product range. But they're not worth making a priority.

If there's an idea you want people to take away (e.g. "Buy this featured shirt" or "We do custom orders" or whatever - your unique selling proposition presumably), then flyers are where it's at. But don't spend too much on them - many people will pick them up, yet never look at them.

Anyway, if people are interested, I'll keep you guys updated on how things are going and how the show goes.
Do keep us updated, and good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I actually think that flyers are a bad idea. People will walk by, pick one up and never buy anything.
Good point. A book has the advantage there, because to look at it they have to stay at the stall. Somehow, you've got to find the balance that works for your stall (and on that particular day). You don't want to lose sales on the day (a more sure thing, and consequently more important), but you also don't want to lose followup sales (people who are indecisive, people who don't have much money on the day, people who are interested for a birthday that isn't for another six weeks, etc.).

Another thing storeholders often do (haven't tried it myself) is to put flyers or business cards in view, but out of reach (like with the cash box). It means people know they're there if they want them, but they have to talk to you to get one.

This has advantages and disadvantages. Between shy people and busy markets you get people who won't ask for the information who might've wanted it (might miss out on a followup sale). On the other hand, the people who take the materials really want them so they're less likely to be thrown away (which means less wasted money - even a 5-10c business card can add up), and obviously it gives you the opportunity to talk / give your pitch to people.

"Can I get one of those flyers?"
"Sure. Have you seen our Wayzgoose product?"

...that sort of thing.

Advantages/disadvantages to having them visible but out of reach: people know you have them, so they're not embarrassed to ask if they want them (if they don't know you have a flyer, how likely are they to ask for one?). But personally I find it a kind of passive aggressive sales technique, so I don't like stores that do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.