T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be a vendor at my first show this Sunday. I'll have some of my hand-painted kids clothes there and I'm very nervous. I'm nervous I won't sell much at all and equally that I'll sell out long before the show is over because I don't have that much inventory.

I'm thinking to make either a product book or some kind of flyer to show off all of my printed designs. I'm not sure if people will want to stop long enough to really look through the book, but not sure if a flyer will get through enough info. There's so many options, it's driving me crazy! lol.

Today I'm off to Kinos because my *%[email protected] printer won't print on the business card paper I bought. Tehn I have to get more bags-which I almost forgot to get and check out table rental prices. *flops*

Anyway, if people are interested, I'll keep you guys updated on how things are going and how the show goes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey!
I'm also going to my first trade show this month.I'm not sure if the name "trade show" is correct -it's gonna be something like garage sale :) +antique +craft sale in convention center, but for me perfect to start. The booth with table cost $60 to $ 80 -I'm gonna take the cheapest-in case Idont sell any shirts...I have one more month,so I will have to design and print my flyers.Flyers are gonna be enough for me-I have 4 shirts' designs. I'm gonna put my website on the flyer (but i have to finish my website by then :) )
I think flyers are the must.
I also have to get bags for packing the shirts -hopefuly gonna sell few... Where do you buy bags and what kind?
Good luck with your trade show!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds pretty cool. My show is a dog walk for cancer, so there's the walk and then a bunch of crafters and food vendors. The booth was $50,which was the most I was prepared to pay for my first show. I like this one because it'll undoubtedly have lots of animal lovers and my shirts are animal themed as is my artwork.

For the bags, since I don't have much time left, I'm buying them at my local Micheals store..nice handled kraft bags. I'm sure you can find them online somewhere for cheaper though. These are normally 6.00 for 13, but I had two coupons so I'm getting them nearly half that price.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I'm nervous I won't sell much at all and equally that I'll sell out long before the show is over because I don't have that much inventory.
The first is a problem, but that's the risk you face. The second isn't really a problem - so long as you have enough inventory that if you sell a reasonable amount of it you make enough money to justify being there.

In other words if you want to make $500 for the day and selling half your inventory would do that, selling all of it early isn't a problem. You can give your stall space to the person next to you (they'll probably be quite happy about that), or spend the rest of the time marketing, talking about your products, and taking orders.

Being so popular you sell out is the problem everybody wants. That's not to say it isn't a problem, but at the same time it's the problem that isn't a problem, if you catch my drift.

I'm thinking to make either a product book or some kind of flyer to show off all of my printed designs. I'm not sure if people will want to stop long enough to really look through the book, but not sure if a flyer will get through enough info.
Not many people will stop to look at a book. But some will. Almost nobody will look through more than a few pages. A few enthusiastic weirdos will if your product and presentation are good enough (nothing wrong with that). Basically if you have the time for the book and can do it affordably, there's no harm. They're a particularly good substitute if you can only bring a portion of your product range. But they're not worth making a priority.

If there's an idea you want people to take away (e.g. "Buy this featured shirt" or "We do custom orders" or whatever - your unique selling proposition presumably), then flyers are where it's at. But don't spend too much on them - many people will pick them up, yet never look at them.

Anyway, if people are interested, I'll keep you guys updated on how things are going and how the show goes.
Do keep us updated, and good luck.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I actually think that flyers are a bad idea. People will walk by, pick one up and never buy anything. Your best chance of getting a sale is when the person is standing there at the booth. Talk to them and try to get the sale right then. If they are not going to buy, then give them a flyer (hide them under the table so people can't just pick one up and walk off).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being so popular you sell out is the problem everybody wants. That's not to say it isn't a problem, but at the same time it's the problem that isn't a problem, if you catch my drift.
Good point. :) I was concerned about sitting there with nothing, but you bring up good ideas to do in case that does happen, thanks!

I actually think that flyers are a bad idea. People will walk by, pick one up and never buy anything. Your best chance of getting a sale is when the person is standing there at the booth. Talk to them and try to get the sale right then. If they are not going to buy, then give them a flyer (hide them under the table so people can't just pick one up and walk off).
Good tip here too. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
As far as the bags, you can get the clear bags at clearbags.com, they have pretty cheap prices for them and they are clear so the shirt is easy to see thru the bag. As far as bags for putting your purchases in, uline has a large selelction of handle bags. hope this helps some ang good luck with your sales :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
make the flyers small enough to put in a pocket.... like a business card size...... less likely to get tossed out...

b

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I actually think that flyers are a bad idea. People will walk by, pick one up and never buy anything.
Good point. A book has the advantage there, because to look at it they have to stay at the stall. Somehow, you've got to find the balance that works for your stall (and on that particular day). You don't want to lose sales on the day (a more sure thing, and consequently more important), but you also don't want to lose followup sales (people who are indecisive, people who don't have much money on the day, people who are interested for a birthday that isn't for another six weeks, etc.).

Another thing storeholders often do (haven't tried it myself) is to put flyers or business cards in view, but out of reach (like with the cash box). It means people know they're there if they want them, but they have to talk to you to get one.

This has advantages and disadvantages. Between shy people and busy markets you get people who won't ask for the information who might've wanted it (might miss out on a followup sale). On the other hand, the people who take the materials really want them so they're less likely to be thrown away (which means less wasted money - even a 5-10c business card can add up), and obviously it gives you the opportunity to talk / give your pitch to people.

"Can I get one of those flyers?"
"Sure. Have you seen our Wayzgoose product?"

...that sort of thing.

Advantages/disadvantages to having them visible but out of reach: people know you have them, so they're not embarrassed to ask if they want them (if they don't know you have a flyer, how likely are they to ask for one?). But personally I find it a kind of passive aggressive sales technique, so I don't like stores that do it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well,I wouldn't ask for a flyer that I can't reach.
If the flyers are on the table,usually people not interested in don't take it.If they want to take it -then they probably read it and that's what I want...:) I have to get people know about my website,so I'm still planning printing the flyers.
Maybe I will even ask people who goes by my table if they want to check my website and give them my flyers...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Audrey, is this a wholesale or a retail show?

Specifically, are you selling directly to kids and their parents? Or are you selling to retailers, such as children's boutiques?

In my case, I sell direct retail at conventions, selling directly to the kids and/or their parents.

If you are lucky enough to sell out early, be happy, and also talk it up! Keep a few samples, and when customers stop by staring at your empty booth, tell them how humbled you are that everyone liked them and they bought them all. Have plenty of business cards handy, and also I recommend making a mailing list signup sheet, so that you can let them know when you have more ready.

Congratulations on your first show, and I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is all such great advice, thanks everyone!

reiyou: Selling directly to kids/parents. And chatting I think I can do :)

I'm working on my setup now, I'll be posting some pics when I've got something working well.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Well,I wouldn't ask for a flyer that I can't reach.
If the flyers are on the table,usually people not interested in don't take it.If they want to take it -then they probably read it and that's what I want...:) I have to get people know about my website,so I'm still planning printing the flyers.
Maybe I will even ask people who goes by my table if they want to check my website and give them my flyers...
The whole point of doing a show is to sell something, right?

So in my experience (and I have done shows before.. and sold quite a bit) if you are handing out flyers.. you are preventing that sale from happening. So what if someone takes the flyer? The odds of them even looking at the website, much less actually buying something, has got to be like 1 in 50, while your chance of actually selling them something while they are standing right there, is more like 1 in 10 (or better if you are good at sales).

Not trying to be harsh.. just saying what I've seen from my own experience. Absolutely nothing is better than face-to-face sales, and since you are already there, paying for the booth, spending your own time there, you should do your best to make it happen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think that's harsh Jasonda..it's good to hear from people who've done it. Since I only have about 25 flyers anyway, I'll keep them for people that I engage in conversation and if they seem interested in my other designs, the ones I don't have with me, I'll give them one.

So my last hurdle to decide on is pricing. Right now I'm leaning toward $15 for infant creeper or tee. That seems a decent price for a hand painted item...right?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
The whole point of doing a show is to sell something, right?

So in my experience (and I have done shows before.. and sold quite a bit) if you are handing out flyers.. you are preventing that sale from happening. So what if someone takes the flyer? The odds of them even looking at the website, much less actually buying something, has got to be like 1 in 50, while your chance of actually selling them something while they are standing right there, is more like 1 in 10 (or better if you are good at sales).

Not trying to be harsh.. just saying what I've seen from my own experience. Absolutely nothing is better than face-to-face sales, and since you are already there, paying for the booth, spending your own time there, you should do your best to make it happen.
Exactly on point! Talk to a customer to complete a sale.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I don't think that's harsh Jasonda..it's good to hear from people who've done it. Since I only have about 25 flyers anyway, I'll keep them for people that I engage in conversation and if they seem interested in my other designs, the ones I don't have with me, I'll give them one.
Yay.. :)

So my last hurdle to decide on is pricing. Right now I'm leaning toward $15 for infant creeper or tee. That seems a decent price for a hand painted item...right?
Could you post a picture of one of your designs? For hand painted you might be able to get $20 or $25. It also depends on what kind of show it is.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure..here are some I had taken of one: [media]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/dreamerwolf/peanutshirt03.jpg[/media]
[media]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/dreamerwolf/peanutshirt02.jpg[/media]

As for the kind of show it is, this is pdf flyer of the event: [media]http://www.golden-dogs.org/Dog_Walk/DWFC_2008.pdf[/media] It's a dog walk sponsored by a therapy dog group and there will be vendors and events and such.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts