T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my first shirt with the printer. Not it took some fine tuning to get there but I think it came out pretty well. I printed directly from Photoshop with one pass. We will see how it washes as I don't have a heat press yet. It is on it's way though:D

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here is my first shirt with the printer. Not it took some fine tuning to get there but I think it came out pretty well. I printed directly from Photoshop with one pass. We will see how it washes as I don't have a heat press yet. It is on it's way though:D

When you said you printed direct from Photoshop, what do you mean?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pretty good print ! If you did not use a RIP then well done, fantastic choice of colours. Perhaps you could get away with ironing the print to cure it ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any RIP software so I printed directly from Photoshop. I don't have the white ink either. So pretty happy with the turn out. And I did use a regular iron with parchment paper.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When you print from a software, it means you dont have to open a special software to print it. You just use whatever software you are working in, and print. If he was using white, he would have had to send the print to a rip software that would seperate the white out, then print from the rip software. If you are not using white, you can print directly from any software. Even something like windows picture viewer.

Aye Poppin... if you ever want to get an idea of how your design will look on a certain color.... keep a pack of colored paper around... if you can find a sheet close to the color you want, print on it and see how it looks without having to use a shirt first.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I don't have any RIP software so I printed directly from Photoshop. I don't have the white ink either. So pretty happy with the turn out. And I did use a regular iron with parchment paper.
Does an Iron get above 300 degrees in order to set the ink correctly?
We've been told to do 2 presses of 300 degrees for 60 seconds for prints that do not have white ink. I'm currious if that will hold up in the wash.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Adam,

It is my understanding that these inks to not have to reach a certain temperature to cure. They only need to be dry. In fact they will air dry if you have a week to dry them. I have printed a shirt and hung it up wet and allowed it to dry for a week or so and it washed fine.

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Correct, the removal of the water content causes the polymer to set. The ink manufacturers do not agree with this view, but I have also tried a similar experiment and proved air drying can work !

Clothes irons get hotter than the required 350F, (set your iron on max and see how quick it will discolor fabric) but without a device to check the temperature you will not know the actual heat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One thing to watch if you are using an iron to dry the shirts is the ink can be scorched if you get it too hot. This can cause washout problems. It is better to dry them at a lower temperature for a longer period of time than to get them to hot.

Regards,
Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts