T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,140 Posts
It is best to use registration marks in 3 corners of the artwork for each screen. This will allow you to line up each screen with the exact same marks.

Are you saying once you get it lined up the registration is not staying correct or are you just struggling from the beginning?

Prior to micro registration I would print off the artwork and line it up on the platen... then line up each color with that and hold the mesh down to the artwork while using the other hand to tighten the clamps.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OTFINC said:
print off a copy of the artwork and tape it to your palet. then line up each color to that artwork and you should be good to go.
I usually line it up with the transparency. And yes unknown practice practice practice lol. I learned the burn thing the hard way. But it is always sooo close to being lined up good then there is a little white peaking

· Registered
2,942 Posts
Assuming you're film seps all register to one another (sometimes a printer can output a film out of registration due to roller slippage), or add enough trap to the overprint colors or enough choke to the underbase to compensate, about the only thing you can do is as mentioned earlier, hold the screen down firmly to the platen as you tighten the screen clamps. If it's still out, loosen the clamps just enough so that you can tap the screens with a hammer to nudge them into registration.
One other thing to check is warped screens. If you have enough warp in a screen it's possible you'll never get it to register to prints made from screens that aren't warped.

· Registered
138 Posts
Lining up multiple colors is a B****! It's always a struggle for me. My press is tight so I do not trap. No matter how good it looks lining up screens, there's always a screen or screens out of register when actually printing. At that point I grab my tape gun and cover a print of my most populated color with clear tape. I print the next color on top of the tape. If that color is not lined up with the first then I tweak the screen, wipe the ink off the tape and print again. And I do this over, and over, and over until it looks good. Then I get to move on to the next color. I'm in a real good mood when I can finally print the order. Hate it! But I love the cheapskate or budget minded customers wanting a one color print. - Scotty

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
scottyjr said:
Lining up multiple colors is a B****! It's always a struggle for me. My press is tight so I do not trap. No matter how good it looks lining up screens, there's always a screen or screens out of register when actually printing. At that point I grab my tape gun and cover a print of my most populated color with clear tape. I print the next color on top of the tape. If that color is not lined up with the first then I tweak the screen, wipe the ink off the tape and print again. And I do this over, and over, and over until it looks good. Then I get to move on to the next color. I'm in a real good mood when I can finally print the order. Hate it! But I love the cheapskate or budget minded customers wanting a one color print. - Scotty
That is a good idea! I love one color jobs now that I have done multi color

· Registered
2,942 Posts
Obviously, now you know why some of us have sprung for professional-grade presses with good micros. I had a new press with almost useless micros that I spent 4 hours registering a 2-color job on. After that, I said "screw it" and decided then and there to buy only decent stuff . . . used if I could get it, new if I couldn't. Got a Vastex 2000D 6/4 for $3000, only 4 months old. I'm a happy guy.

· Registered
139 Posts
Lot of advice already given but I'll repeat a few i thin kare most helpful or thing i was going to say myself.

add some choke to the art and films.

use a press with solid registration (another vote for a vastex)

the idea of puting the clear tape over the base coat was brilliant ( new to me but i like it).

make sre the frames are square and do your best to get the art in the same are on each screen ( vastex has that pin registration system- i have it - it works excellent).

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LivingThread said:
Lot of advice already given but I'll repeat a few i thin kare most helpful or thing i was going to say myself.

add some choke to the art and films.

use a press with solid registration (another vote for a vastex)

the idea of puting the clear tape over the base coat was brilliant ( new to me but i like it).

make sre the frames are square and do your best to get the art in the same are on each screen ( vastex has that pin registration system- i have it - it works excellent).
For sure clear tape one of the smartest things I have ever heard. I am out of town this weekend but Monday if it is still giving me trouble I am breaking out tape!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.