T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hello, hello,

I would go larger with the Hix 15 x 15 Swingman. If for some reason you upgrade and decide not keep it as a backup...you could sell it pretty easily as Hix has a tried-and-true reputation.

I would look into if any of the smaller heatpresses have teflon upper platens and silicone bottom platen.

You'll have more wiggle room on what you can do with the Hix. I saw the specs go up to 1.75" so if you want to do mousepads, bags, sweats, etc.

If you are creative, you can find a way to do larger stuff on your press.
I have a 16 x 20 Knight DK20S (swing). I'm pressing 2XL shirts and have to press once, shift, place teflon sheet and press the 2nd part.

HEAT TAPE has really helped!

And if your budget just won't stretch, I think your choice is fine. Didn't someone mention it's actually a Stahl's Hotronix? Also a tried/true brand.

Susan

dub3325 said:
My plan was to use the mighty press until I generate enough profits for an upgrade....then putting my mighty press as a backup. I figure I would need a backup anyways given that in the event that my main press craps out...I wouldnt lose my customers.

My other thoughts....tap into some other funds and get the Hix Swingman 15.

·
Registered
282 Posts
For what it's worth, my 1920s home is partially jerry-rigged for electricity (not by me LOL...I'm a renter).

Some of the three-prong outlets are NOT GROUNDED (tester is $5.00).

My Knight DK20S is 120 volts, 15 amps, 1800 watts. Yes, I've tripped the circuit breaker on this one grid. The heat press is on an inexpensive Dynex surge protector rated for 15 amps, 1875 watts, 900 joules.

When I'm heatpressing, I just turn off my window A/C and lights that's on the same circuit as the heat press.

If you own the condo, not a big deal to have an electrician upgrade one outlet. I looked into this because my press comes 220 volts as well. I think it was $60 for the outlet upgrade (and similar to washer/dryer outlet specs/requirements?).

Just sharing:) Susan

dub3325 said:
Thanks for the input,

Yea I've thought about the hix presto as well. But I'm not sure if I want to make a jump from 1k watts to 1500. I'm not sure if my condo can handle it.

Think i'll stick with the mighty press until I start planning for high volume. For some reason, I'm a bigger fan of stahls than I am hix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.