T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the reason why I'm posting it here is to share my excitement and to ask for some feedback. But also because I'm a little insecure of my first purchase and need some support. :D:D

After weighing out my budget and goals, I decided on the Mighty Press 11x15 Porta as my first press.

I have done a lot of research on the presses in this price range and this seems to be the best that I could find. What are your guys' thoughts? Anyone out there dislike this model?

One quick question as well....this press only outputs 1000w vs the 1400w+ that the other researched presses put out. Does this make a big difference?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I don't know that much about heat presses (don't own one myself), but from everything I've read on here that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen (i.e. something you'll outgrow rapidly and regret having bought when you chuck it in favour of a bigger model that you could have bought in the first place by saving for that tiny little bit longer).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My plan was to use the mighty press until I generate enough profits for an upgrade....then putting my mighty press as a backup. I figure I would need a backup anyways given that in the event that my main press craps out...I wouldnt lose my customers.

My other thoughts....tap into some other funds and get the Hix Swingman 15.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
An 11x15 is certainly not as bad as a 9x12 (where some start), and you are going with a name brand, so that plan might work out for you.

The mantra on these forums is "nothing smaller than a 15x15, you will regret it", but each person is different and you may find that's not actually true for you.

I can't imagine a 15x15 costs that much more than an 11x15 though?

(the other thing to consider is, as you mentioned, the 1000w vs. 1400w - is your power source appropriate for both? it would suck it you got the 1400w model only to find you can't run it)

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I started my little biz with a 9 x 12. did a few small orders and then got a big order.. I got paid enough up front to buy the 15 x 15 mighty press which I love. If your going to do any business at all this is the way to go. I got lucky enough to get the big order. I still made money after I bought the press. I think though I would still have put my small press on ebay and bought a larger one. when you get down to doing the actual work and lining things up and pressing you will want the larger press. My small one is still here and I am getting ready to part with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I've considered the 15x15 as well, but I don't know if its my stubborness, but I don't think I need the extra 4 inches for my designs. The jump to a 15x15 is about a 200 dollar difference. It might not seem like a lot to some people, but it is to me.

A 9x12 is was way out of the question, and I can't really afford to go all out with a larger one given my current financial situation. So I have settled on middle grounds with the Mighty Press. If any of you guys know a bigger and better press for around 400-500 please let me know!!

Not to mention I want it new, since I have somewhat of a phobia of purchasing used equipment before seeing it.

Thanks for your input guys!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I think the press you want is workable for you and would gladly offer some printing tips when you need them. I don't think it is a bad thing to start out small. I know that if you get some sales and make some money you really should upgrade. Then you could easily sell your smaller press on ebay. Like I said I got one order for 175 shirts and they paid me up half up front and I used that money to buy my larger press. So out of pocket money was zero. And I got the press before I had to do the large order then I made the shirts and in about half the time than my smaller press (less maneuvering around)Delivered shirts, got rest of money which paid for the shirts I put on my credit card and still made a few dollars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got my Mighty Press 11 X 15 from Coastal w/free shipping and I love it! I'm only doing Onesies and Toddler's tees, so it works pretty well for me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Solmu said:
I don't know that much about heat presses (don't own one myself), but from everything I've read on here that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen (i.e. something you'll outgrow rapidly and regret having bought when you chuck it in favour of a bigger model that you could have bought in the first place by saving for that tiny little bit longer).
Solmu makes a good point.

A quick look at prices shows the Might 11 x 15 you are looking at to be around $475.00

I bought a Hix Presto 15 x 15 for 560.00.

That's only a difference of $85. Something to consider.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input,

Yea I've thought about the hix presto as well. But I'm not sure if I want to make a jump from 1k watts to 1500. I'm not sure if my condo can handle it.

Think i'll stick with the mighty press until I start planning for high volume. For some reason, I'm a bigger fan of stahls than I am hix.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hello, hello,

I would go larger with the Hix 15 x 15 Swingman. If for some reason you upgrade and decide not keep it as a backup...you could sell it pretty easily as Hix has a tried-and-true reputation.

I would look into if any of the smaller heatpresses have teflon upper platens and silicone bottom platen.

You'll have more wiggle room on what you can do with the Hix. I saw the specs go up to 1.75" so if you want to do mousepads, bags, sweats, etc.

If you are creative, you can find a way to do larger stuff on your press.
I have a 16 x 20 Knight DK20S (swing). I'm pressing 2XL shirts and have to press once, shift, place teflon sheet and press the 2nd part.

HEAT TAPE has really helped!

And if your budget just won't stretch, I think your choice is fine. Didn't someone mention it's actually a Stahl's Hotronix? Also a tried/true brand.

Susan

dub3325 said:
My plan was to use the mighty press until I generate enough profits for an upgrade....then putting my mighty press as a backup. I figure I would need a backup anyways given that in the event that my main press craps out...I wouldnt lose my customers.

My other thoughts....tap into some other funds and get the Hix Swingman 15.

·
Registered
282 Posts
For what it's worth, my 1920s home is partially jerry-rigged for electricity (not by me LOL...I'm a renter).

Some of the three-prong outlets are NOT GROUNDED (tester is $5.00).

My Knight DK20S is 120 volts, 15 amps, 1800 watts. Yes, I've tripped the circuit breaker on this one grid. The heat press is on an inexpensive Dynex surge protector rated for 15 amps, 1875 watts, 900 joules.

When I'm heatpressing, I just turn off my window A/C and lights that's on the same circuit as the heat press.

If you own the condo, not a big deal to have an electrician upgrade one outlet. I looked into this because my press comes 220 volts as well. I think it was $60 for the outlet upgrade (and similar to washer/dryer outlet specs/requirements?).

Just sharing:) Susan

dub3325 said:
Thanks for the input,

Yea I've thought about the hix presto as well. But I'm not sure if I want to make a jump from 1k watts to 1500. I'm not sure if my condo can handle it.

Think i'll stick with the mighty press until I start planning for high volume. For some reason, I'm a bigger fan of stahls than I am hix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Solmu said:
I don't know that much about heat presses (don't own one myself), but from everything I've read on here that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen
What do you use since you do not own a heat press?

·
Registered
302 Posts
dualdesigner said:
Solmu shoots 380 degree heat from his eyes to prepare his shirts. At trade shows the crowds part to make way for him, vendors and distributors cower in fear and the whispers of retailers can be heard, "It's really him, "Cyclops" is here. God help us."

·
Registered
402 Posts
My first press was a Mighty Press Swing Arm. A very good press... never had any problems with it.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
dualdesigner said:
Laser eyes would be cool, but sadly I just screenprint. I've only used a heatpress a couple of times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Badalou, then can I get your old little press? lol, but also kinda serious! I'm looking at getting a 9x12, Jetpress - I'm doing little kids tees and only have an A4 printer, so I figure there's no point in getting anything bigger. And, when you're looking at getting it to New Zealand, the difference in the prices for the different sizes starts getting a bit more dramatic!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts