T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did my first attempt at discharge printing. Used ryonet (matsui?) water-based opaque white/discharge. I was happy, I've not had good luck with plastisol (mainly my lack of knowledge) but I was actually pleased with the results using the discharge.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, short story is it's an idea i had after reading an article about Disney lawyers suing a daycare for using their artwork on the walls and then someone said "you know Walt Disney was a nazi sympathizer."

thanks!

· Registered
1,693 Posts
well, of course disney was no nazi any more than he was a fascist, communist, klan leader, or future frozen head. his 'nazi affliations' probably weren't even cusiosities as much as attempting to gain distributorship for his films in the german market. during the war, disney of course did propaganda films against the nazis. but, while there is nothing more than circumstantial 'evidence' of his mind at any given time, disney wasn't even a very political person. that said, you *could* argue he wasn't overly keen on jews, though you might argue that during the day in age he was in, the jokes he put out about jews were just that, jokes. jokes in bad taste by today's standards (and even by those bygone standards jewish groups weren't happy about it, precipitating a few changes in some of the cartoons), but, again, nothing that i'm aware of that suggested some kind of loathing for them. if anything, he loathed communists and unions. everything else was likely him going about doing business up until he had cause to think differently. he was, as i recall, conservative and was asked to name names.

all this has nothing to do with the design of the shirt, as if people want to believe he was a nazi then that's what they're going to believe, lol. and i do like seeing this kind of design, or more accurately this spirit of design, because it prompts debate. some of this kind of stuff just tries to be shocking for the sake of shocking someone, but the far better designs have a basis for existing. that said, i think it behooves the wearer to be able to defend the statement once forcing other people to behold it.

hm, maybe someday i'll put walt's frozen head for sale on ebay with a link to my site (if i had a site to link to, lol).

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i have no idea if he was a secret nazi or not, just that it's an urban legend sort of thing.

those are halftones! it's a 110 screen and I thought the halftones turned out just like I hoped.

· Registered
228 Posts
using the 110 did you have any issues with too much ink laying down?

I did a discharge print yesterday with a 196 and i shouldnt have double stroked it because it bled through the back a tad.

· Registered
3,230 Posts
yeah, i have no idea if he was a secret nazi or not, just that it's an urban legend sort of thing.

those are halftones! it's a 110 screen and I thought the halftones turned out just like I hoped.
Nice. And yes haltones don't have to be on 65 lpi on 305's ;)

What shirt brand did you use?

Hope this is just a personal one-off. Disney is hardcore about defending their intellectual properties.

· Registered
3,230 Posts
And before I read the thread, I figured the artwork was a commentary on Disney's enforcement of their intellectual property rights... go figure.
My first thought too. But I've heard the anti-Semitic stories as well.

They don't play though. They spend millions policing their properties. There are a bunch of daycares around here that use Disney characters and names in their names and signage as well as other trademarks.

Mickey Mouse, Magic Kingdom, Pooh, Carebears, Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake.

· Registered
3,230 Posts
i don't do halftones yet, Why not? Whatchu waintin' for?
I don't do discharge, either, so does that have any affect on what screens you'd use?
One thing is to make sure the emulsion used is recommened for discharge inks and you get enough saturation for full consistent discharge.

Fascinating to see process or multicolor with discharge as it occurs. It looks dark and dull then magically jumps out from the shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDFgi3VtjxU

· Registered
495 Posts
My first thought too. But I've heard the anti-Semitic stories as well.

They don't play though. They spend millions policing their properties. There are a bunch of daycares around here that use Disney characters and names in their names and signage as well as other trademarks.

Mickey Mouse, Magic Kingdom, Pooh, Carebears, Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake.
I do know some accounting guys that worked for Disney. They referred to their division as Mousevitz.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
well, right now my main computer (this is an ooold back up) is in KY being worked on by my wife's cousin (he's good, but he's not necessarily fast), and this old bird ain't gonna handle the kind of art programmes i'd need to do half tones and such. part of it is just time ~ i work a day job, come home and close the convenience store. part of it is incompetence ~ i can barely access e-mail (though i'm working on getting better at programmes, i still have a long way to go. right now my wife does all the art work and she doesn't have the time, either, nor really the inclination to go into half tone stuff atm. when i'm gone, she runs the store, builds trophies and engraves, and does screen printing, too).

it's a skill i do want to know, though. eventually we'll get a request that involves more than basic screen printing. that and someday i hope to actually make my own designs, a few of which are beyond the basics. the wife keeps theatening to sell the joint, but until she does we're both stuck being busy doing what we do let alone taking on new challenges. :)

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
using the 110 did you have any issues with too much ink laying down?

I did a discharge print yesterday with a 196 and i shouldnt have double stroked it because it bled through the back a tad.
After a couple of tests, I found that I could do a single stroke with the 110 and it was "just right" once cured. Before putting in the heat tunnel it does NOT look like the ink covered very well. My first try I did a double stroke because of this and that was too much, there was some bleeding so that after the cure some finer lines (where there was no ink) filled in slightly to a lot.

Using the 110 with the halftone was a total "imma try it" based on 2 things: The halftones were very simple, and I only had one coated screen left and it was a 110.

And, i used a recommended emulsion for waterbased inks, I do think that's important.

The shirt is Alternative Apparel, can't remember the number but it's a basic T from them.

And, the t-shirt is going to be for sale. Parody is perfectly legal and I don't think Disney can argue very well that the image doesn't fall under fair use. In any case, a Disney legal battle could make a good documentary. :)

And before I read the thread, I figured the artwork was a commentary on Disney's enforcement of their intellectual property rights... go figure.
It is!

· Registered
3,230 Posts
Parody is perfectly legal and I don't think Disney can argue very well that the image doesn't fall under fair use. In any case, a Disney legal battle could make a good documentary. :)
Go for it and good luck but you're asking for trouble on the parody thing. If you're able to support parody do you have the financial resources to even challenge it?

· Registered
1,693 Posts
does anyone have the financial resources to fight disney? the great thing about our country is that we can represent ourselves in court. it has been done successfully, it's our right, and it's entirely possible that if the artist is in the right and the judge agrees, disney will lose. if the defendant loses, they're ruined. such is life. if nothing else, you'd have a good story for the grandkids. then again, the grandkids may be like, 'mommy, why does grandpa always cuss at the screen whenever we watch 'the little mermaid'?'

voltaire once said, paraphrasing here, 'i was ruined but twice in life. once when i lost a court case, and once when i won.'

· Registered
47 Posts
Not to put a damper on the well done half-tone work and leaving political views aside. If Disney Corp. went after a daycare for copy rights, they might just have a little bit of a problem with your shirt? You never can trust high powered, lawyer driven companies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.