T-Shirt Forums banner

my first design! plastisol ?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr.4ColorProcess 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, i do a lot of heat press related stuff but designing for t-shirts is NOT my game. I am not a designer at all.

but, a few months ago i came up with a t-shirt slogan " Elvis Lives Upstairs " so i got a buddy to make me a vinyl navy iron on of this slogan printed on a shirt for myself.

Anyways.......so every time i wear it some peeps tell me they like this t-shirt/slogan and where did i get it. So, by now i'm feeling kinda of on top of the world.

So, before i go ahead and make 50 plastisol transfers, would someone have a problem with that ? don't want to step on any toes. :D

i'm so exited... please give me some inside-designer tips and how to plastisol this baby if it was your design.

#3 ·
jdr8271 said:
Talk to a lawyer.
thanks, I just did. Well he was at court so i asked his assistant.
She asked if there are others like it on the market, i say yes. You know " Nobody Believes I'm Elvis " and others that are made by reputable companies.

She was not sure, but at a glance she did not see a problem with that....
I'm just curious if someone else out there came up with this t-shirt slogan first and i don't know about it.

#4 ·
I believe unless you have a picture of Elvis Presley, you are safe.
I mean..what if you are reffering to your cousin Elvis, who lives upstairs in room 401? ;)

The name "Elvis" is not copyrighted.
Now, Elvis Presley's image is.
Dont know about his full name though.

#7 ·
It is legal to use a name as long as it is not slanderious.
That's not exactly true either. The right to publicity also covers a persons name (when it concerns the name on merchandise for sale).

Elvis has a big legal department :) According to them:

elvis.com said:
Our primary objective is to preserve the name, likeness and image of Elvis Presley. The name and signature are trademarks owned and protected by the Estate of Elvis Presley. Other protected properties of the Estate include the image and voice of Elvis, song titles such as Blue Suede Shoes, Jailhouse Rock, Hound Dog, and Teddy Bear and words and phrases closely associated with Elvis, such as Graceland, TCB and King of Rock and Roll.
Your best bet is to get legal advice from a lawyer that will be willing to represent/defend you if/when it goes to court.

#9 ·
Rodney said:
Your best bet is to get legal advice from a lawyer that will be willing to represent/defend you if/when it goes to court.
huuu! that sounds scary.

so here iam, my first design and more concerned if someone else had made up this t-shirt slogan " Elvis Lives Upstairs " before me, now the Elvis Preseley issue comes into play. Yeah, may be I will give that more attention when and if I do go and plastisol it for sale.

So, moving along now. I was thinking of doing a few variations of this t-shirt slogan, may be some for guys and some for girls. Any tips from the designing end ? print size colors etc... any suggestions ?

oh, stay away from suggesting any thing that looks like or to do with Elvis Presley, please.

#10 ·
Hmm...
so you don't want anything suggesting your design having something to do with Elvis Presley. I think it's impossible cause if you'll only put black text with this design people will think at Elvis Presley.

OK. In my opinion go for a white t-shirt for guys and for the girls maybe a pink one or a blue ciel (like the sky, I think they have this color on cafepress t-shirts). As for the design I will choose some clean capital letters with a color that will stick out and catch the eye. For the girls t-shirt I will definelly choose the writing to be red or blue(depending on the color of the t-shirt) with a little sparkles in it (maybe for the boys to). Or maybe go for the Las Vegas king of text...

I think that as long as you don't have Elvis Presley written on your t-shirts you won't have any legal problems, even if your design will poin in his direction (like I told before any design with the name Elvis in it will make us think at the King).

#11 ·
thanks for the ideas Gil,

so i've decided to add an icon (can't be ice skates cause of Elvis Stoyko, more like an Apartment entry Call up Buzzer button or something....lol) type image to the design, don't have one yet perhaps you designers out there can help me out. :) ...

Gil, your idea for the glitter Vegas style design is great, i will go that Roots i think.

I've also done some research and i think I will go a 2-3 screen print and add a Holographic layer to the design. I know this will cost more to make then a single color design but what the heck ! I think with a 3-4 color design it may help it stand out more in the market place. Considering that the single color market designs has grown a lot, with cutters etc....

What do you guys think ?

please help me out.

#13 ·
Thanks Gil and everyone that mail me design ideas....

Ok, so I managed to pull some strings and I now have a budget and a Plan.

Im thinking of doing 4 designs up on a 12x18 sheet (100 total), include a 2x2 logo and do it up in 2 spot colors plus an additional Holographic color. 3 color total.

My budget is about $ 1000 for everything, artwork, transfers etc....

So now Im in the process of choosing an Artist.

Before I start this next stage, I need some input from you peeps.

How do you choose 1 out of 10 or so without hurting some feelings ?
Do Artists get hurt when they are not chosen ?

#14 ·
Glad if I was of any help...

Now about artists... In my opinion choose one that will do you the job as you want without thinking to their feelings.

My guess is that you haven't contacted 10 artists and promissed to all of them that they will be choosed to finish your idea...

Choose the best one cause you'll be thinking to profit from this business and feelings will do you no good at this point.

If you have to choose from multiple versions/designs of your idea view them all from the marketing point "Will this sell, or not?".

#15 ·
Artists are a breed of their own. Of course they'll be offended, its their work you're rejecting. But that's a part of the business that this industry deals with every day. Ultimately, you know what will sell. Remember, if the artist knew what would sell, wouldn't they be in your position instead? Tell your artists upfront that you need ten designs submitted and you'll only buy what you think would sell... Period. We pay anywhere from $25 - $125 per design. You're buying their product, if it isn't that good (and your opinion is all that matters, not the artists. They think all of their work is worthy of top-dollar payments) then don't be pressured into buying it.

-- Jimmy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.