T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking all around for plans for a 4 color press, my girlfriend and I created our own version..

here are some photos

as you can see.. our hinges are made from PVC parts and our registration is simple yet effective..

here's a link to video of the press in action
DIY 4 color Screen Print Press - YouTube

any and all feedback/suggestions are always greatly appreciated!

thanks forums

Attachments

· Registered
612 Posts
Really creative! Nice job. My only little tweek would be on the registration system. I think the threads on the screws might end up grinding up that PVC pipe sooner than later. If you could replace those with steel rod, or somehow fill in or grind down the threads at the top, I think the pipe would have a lot more life.

Awesome job!
Nick

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone..

total cost so far is under $30

PVC is a LOT cheaper than wood..not to mention alot LIGHTER.. and easier to replace.. (I can change the length of the arms if need be)

I'm going to find sleeves for the registration bolts..

I need to figure out how to hold the screens up and change the platen base to an "arm" instead of a base

and last night I printed 50 shirts and they all came out great!

I'm going to add the other 2 arms today and try some 4 color stuff.. but so far so good!

· Registered
201 Posts
For as how to keep your screens up get 4 eye bolts screw them in to the wood, go to home depot and pick up the all black rubber not the cloth look bugge type cords, they are under $2 I just left home depot and i picked up a few things but ince it wasnt a planned trip my mind went blank and i forgot what all I needed. I got two swivels some hinges and was n tje check out line with some 2 x 4's and a sheet of ply wood when I I was on the bus. Lol so I will head back tomorrow or sunday and get my wood for my 8 color press, why the hell not

· Registered
988 Posts
Thanks everyone..

total cost so far is under $30

PVC is a LOT cheaper than wood..not to mention alot LIGHTER.. and easier to replace.. (I can change the length of the arms if need be)
A 2x4x8 piece of wood costs $1.76 and you could have made both arms with that one piece and a box of screws, those 90 degree PVC elbows & end caps cost that much or more in my area which is why I thought would have been cheaper. No biggie, you are happy with it and that is all that matters.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A 2x4x8 piece of wood costs $1.76 and you could have made both arms with that one piece and a box of screws, those 90 degree PVC elbows & end caps cost that much or more in my area which is why I thought would have been cheaper. No biggie, you are happy with it and that is all that matters.
true.. but wood is 1. heavier.. and 2 I would still have to buy hinges.. and this is 4 color/arms (I just only had 2 done when I took the pics ) :)

· Registered
358 Posts
Looks like the shirts came out great. I was surprised at the opacity you got off one hit of the grey - what brand was it, and did you get it at River City? One thing I couldn't tell from the video, though - how are you getting the screens to stay up?

Always good to see other people in ATX too, especially those of us bootstrapping it - hit me up if you ever want to talk printing. I've got a small shop and built a lot of my equipment too.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like the shirts came out great. I was surprised at the opacity you got off one hit of the grey - what brand was it, and did you get it at River City? One thing I couldn't tell from the video, though - how are you getting the screens to stay up?

Always good to see other people in ATX too, especially those of us bootstrapping it - hit me up if you ever want to talk printing. I've got a small shop and built a lot of my equipment too.
thanks.. to answer your first question.. the gray is a custom color match from Ryonet - International Coatings brand. but most of my other ink is from River City .. only because I get "antsy" and want to print NOW instead of waiting the 3 or 4 days to get it online :)

2nd .. one of the screens jsut stays up due to friction on the clamps... and the other one doesn't lol.. figuring out a spring or something is my next step

and 3rd .. I would LOVE to get together sometime!!!!!
my email is kelly[USER=160940]@Atxphotoguy[/USER].com

Thanks again

Kelly

· Registered
358 Posts
thanks.. to answer your first question.. the gray is a custom color match from Ryonet - International Coatings brand. but most of my other ink is from River City .. only because I get "antsy" and want to print NOW instead of waiting the 3 or 4 days to get it online :)

2nd .. one of the screens jsut stays up due to friction on the clamps... and the other one doesn't lol.. figuring out a spring or something is my next step

and 3rd .. I would LOVE to get together sometime!!!!!
my email is kelly[USER=160940]@Atxphotoguy[/USER].com

Thanks again

Kelly
Awesome, I'll hit you up in the next few days, Kelly - my name's Tom. I've got a pretty busy weekend, but next week is pretty free for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.