Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We supply a wholesale customer (reseller) who has now asked me to forward all the DST files we have created for him over the last 2 years. I am curious do members have a policy or guideline with regards to customers asking for these files? Can we charge a fee to release these files after spending time creating them? I just feel he is waiting to find somebody cheaper and then send him the files. Would appreciate any advice
Thank you
Simon

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
We don't charge for them so we don't supply them. For a handful of one's we did charge for we supplied them on request with thread info and color changes.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hi
Can we charge a fee to release these files after spending time creating them?
Have they already paid digitizing fees for the designs? If so then in my opinion they are entitled to the files. To charge any additional fees to "release" the files to the client probably won't sit well with the customer and I wouldn't blame them. It would look like you are holding the files hostage.

If they haven't paid for the digitizing of the files then you could advise them normally there is a digitizing fee for each design. Let them know the files were digitized at no charge for use by your company but can be given to them if they are willing to pay the digitizing fees.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I understood your post. To a retail customer I do not release the files unless they pay a higher rate.You have a wholesale customer that is reselling your files. My position is that he should have retained a copy for his own files, as I do. In an instance, where I had a PC crash and lost my files, my digitizer was able to provide me a copy of my work contracted with them. If you have them and provided them before, then I do not see a reason why you would not unless it is an inconvenience. I feel if you provided the end product, then you are not under any obligation to provide the files.

·
Administrator
15,478 Posts
You have a wholesale customer that is reselling your files.
I think Vincent is saying he is supplying the wholesaler with embroidered products, not the digitizing file itself. Right Vincent?

Vincent, if you never charged upfront for the file, like many digitizer/embroiderers do, then it's reasonable to charge him to release your files.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
When we were doing embroidery, we always charged for the digitizing and the client would get a digital copy. if they weren't charged for the digitizing an now they want the DST file, i would charge them for it.

this is similar to what happens in screen printing in regards to screen charges.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have they already paid digitizing fees for the designs? If so then in my opinion they are entitled to the files. To charge any additional fees to "release" the files to the client probably won't sit well with the customer and I wouldn't blame them. It would look like you are holding the files hostage.

If they haven't paid for the digitizing of the files then you could advise them normally there is a digitizing fee for each design. Let them know the files were digitized at no charge for use by your company but can be given to them if they are willing to pay the digitizing fees.
What he said!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So, I have a job and I created a custom graphic for it. No charge to the customer. They want that also on a shirt embroidered. I alter the graphic to accommodate and send to be digitized. I charge the customer for the digitizing. If they want the file, they have to pay for the original artwork first as the digitized version is a derivative of my original art. If they provided the camera ready art or they hired and paid me to create their design and I had it digitized and charged a digitizing fee then yes, they would be entitled to the file.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
We have had several customers ask for their DST files or art files. We charge a flat fee of $250 per file if they recieved free artwork. Some customers who supplied us 'artwork' got back what they gave us when they ask for it even if it is just a photo if we didn't charge them up front for it.

Again, we have several who we do charge because of complexity and if they ask for it we give it to them with all of the color info so they can faithfully reproduce it. But that is really an exception for our business model.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with most of the posts here.

If they paid for you to digitize them, then give them the files.
If you didn't pay you to digitize them, then charge them for the files.

We almost always charge up front and then supply the files if the customer asks, but when they do, we supply them with the DST and the EMB file. Seeing as how you can't edit DST file, it is almost useless to them anyways.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Paying for design and paying for digitizing is two different things. If the designs were complex / advanced and you didn't charge him (maybe because he kept bringing his business to you) then yes, you should now charge him for your designs. You are still the rights holder. IF this is the case then you should let him know he has to pay for designs. It's just like when you purchase a image online. They give a license for your own use. If you want to be able to use it commercially then you have to pay for an extended license. Or think about it like this: what if you "only" did design? Then he would have had to pay you for the design work, he would then take that file and send it somewhere else for digitizing... Which he would have paid them for doing.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I said earlier I charge a digitizing fee but in reality I figure it into the order price. I have never broken down for a customer the itemized shirt cost/screen charges/ per print location/color.... etc etc...I just give them a per shirt price period based on quantity and add tax. I have only once had a question of cost and then when I was adding it up for them I said oh lookey here, good thing because I forgot to add your art charges....they never asked about the details again.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.