T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just got my gx-24 on craiglist(got it cheap). The guy i got it from said to hook it up from the serial to the usb. My computer(windows xp) does not read it. Everytime i try to install through the usb, it tells me that i cant and windows wont let me. So i try to hook it up through the other way(com1). im in cut studio and i go to the cutting settings. it cant read the gx-24 and it says for me to hook up through usb. Im so confused and getting tired of this. I try to hook up usb to usb but the usb connection on gx-24 is broken. I tried the serial to serial but i dont know if the serial port on my computer even works. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! sorry for the long story.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have mine connected via the USB port. If you are saying the USB connector on GX24 is broken and you ar not able to get connection via the serial connector I would call roland Support desk. They should be able to help you. Did the cutter come with the install software/drivers?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Moa

If you are talking about a serial to the usb converter. Those wire converters have install disks too. Did you get the converter with the buy? Its a little serial port with a usb wire coming out of the other end. You will need to install the driver for your computer to read it as usb. I'm guessing you can download the converter driver on the company website. Look for a brand or company name on the coverter and google it for further info on the driver.

I'm running Windows XP and Flexi with parallel desktop on my Macbook. Because of this I'm using the serial converter for my plotter as well. Let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone! I just got my gx-24 on craiglist(got it cheap). The guy i got it from said to hook it up from the serial to the usb. My computer(windows xp) does not read it. Everytime i try to install through the usb, it tells me that i cant and windows wont let me. So i try to hook it up through the other way(com1). im in cut studio and i go to the cutting settings. it cant read the gx-24 and it says for me to hook up through usb. Im so confused and getting tired of this. I try to hook up usb to usb but the usb connection on gx-24 is broken. I tried the serial to serial but i dont know if the serial port on my computer even works. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! sorry for the long story.
Did you load the cutstudio s/ware and drivers prior to connecting the cutter?
From memory you have to load the software first then the usb driver then any plug inns eg. corel.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I think you should call Roland and tell them of your issue. I'm sure they will be able to help you out. After they give you a answer,please share it,so we all will have the onfo.Good luck .... JB

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
couple of issues here I think...Since Moa is not the original owner, Roland is most likely going to charge for any tech support...unless the GX2r was under warranty when she got it and the warranty was transferable.

2nd point...The usb connection on the GX 24 is the achilles heel of the unit. It does not take muc to damage the connection...my case in point.. I bought a demo unit at a show and had it shipped to me. It was a new unit and had not been used...just showed...but the usb port was broken when received. In talking with tech support, if a usb cord is in the unit and someone trips on the cord or puts undue stress, it can cause a malfunction. I had to send the unit back to Roland and have the board replace.
I just don't plug in the usb unless I am actually cutting

In Moa's case I think that a trial of the usb/serial connector should be tried

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought a used PC60 and Roland provided free tech support to get it up and running so they should do the same for the newer GX24. Or maybe I just got lucky and got a tech that would help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for you help. I just found the driver installation for the serial to usb hook up(DUH!). Now it is saying that the machine is not responding. The guy i bought it from didnt give me the original cutstudio/driver installation. He just gave me a cd that had all that in it(i guess a ghetto copy). It did install everything but i am wondering if that is the problem. I emailed roland about this problem a min ago so we will see. Thanks again for all of you guy's help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2nd point...The usb connection on the GX 24 is the achilles heel of the unit. It does not take muc to damage the connection...my case in point.. I bought a demo unit at a show and had it shipped to me. It was a new unit and had not been used...just showed...but the usb port was broken when received. In talking with tech support, if a usb cord is in the unit and someone trips on the cord or puts undue stress, it can cause a malfunction. I had to send the unit back to Roland and have the board replace.
I just don't plug in the usb unless I am actually cutting

hey charles. the usb on the gx-24 looks like it was yanked out. I know that yours was on warranty, but did roland tell you how much that repair cost? Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is now 2021 and we had the problem of purchasing a used GX-24 which worked great for about a year and a half, then just quit communicating through the USB Type B port. Tried getting a serial cable and a null modem/crossover serial cable but because we use AI and a Mac, could not get it to work with any serial cable. Finally ordered some replacement USB type B ports from Amazon (10 pieces for about $6), removed the old USB port (difficult with a soldering iron and manual solder sucker tool), gored out the two side holes which just stabilize the new port, and replaced. It worked and solved our non-communication/not-recognized problem. Now it is working just like it did before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts