T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post! I have just started screen printing today and got my first artwork and exposed screen this morning. I tried a test print on one of my bamboo fibre cotton mix t shirts which went okay, was a bit blotchy and patch in places but I think that is down to my off contact distance being wrong.

I just had one question though when i turn the shirt inside out I can really see a lot of the ink on the inside of the shirt, does this always happen? I thought plastisol ink sat on top of the garment and didn't really seep through to the other side. Tried to google this problem but can't seem to find any answers if you can give me any help or advice on how to avoid this I would be most appreciative. Thanks once again I look forward to your replies.

· Registered
960 Posts
Typically it does sit on top... assuming your shirt isn't super thin, I would guess your pressing to hard when your printing... you can actually press the ink through the shirts instead of having it just sit on top.. having to much off contact can cause this because you have to push harder to get the screen down and when it hits the shirt your pushing really hard... if your off contact it right then your probably just pushing to hard in general. You only have to push just hard enough to get the screen to touch the shirt... which you should find is not as hard as you think..

Thanks,
Jeron

· Registered
960 Posts
It depends on your screens.. what kind of screens do you have? Static screens that you buy typically metal or wood screens that are pre stretched would need about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch.. roller frames that you stretch manually would need less... the tighter the mesh the less off contact you need..

I use pre stretched metal static screens and I use a quarter as my gauge.... so about an 1/8"...

Thanks,
Jeron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.