T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its done at a coating facility. You supply them with the aluminum. And as far as costly goes depends. I did a $80,000+ order with them to keep the cost reasonable so that I can make enough profit.

You can look up coating facilities and see what they would charge you, but first you need to know what your raw aluminum will cost you. Its always cheaper to order in large quantities, otherwise you better just stick with unisub and the like.

For the coating itself...its a polyester based paint. But as I found out...you cant just use any polyester paint. It took several months for them to get the formula down and there were many issues such as the color being dull, the coating being sticky/tacky etc. You might want to search for a coating facility that has done coatings for sublimation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Im more thinking for custom shapes that aren't offered by the cookie cutter sublimation supply house. I can purchase raw materials and have the shapes laser or water jetted, just looking for the best sublimation coating.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
trimite offers a sublimation powder coating. laser reproductions has a sublimation coating but I ordereed their coated aluminum and was not impressed at all, colors were very dull. But they will coat anything you want I think if you send to them.

Trust me, I have spent a full 5 months, 6+ hours a day trying to find that magical sublimation coating. I called every coating facility, ordered samples from every chinese company etc. That high quality coating doesnt exist that you can just order. You will need to find a company that has experience with doing this and has done it before successfully.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.