T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that is probably totally obvious, but I don't understand how it is done.

For example, if I have a 2-color design that I am cutting for vinyl that has tight registration, could I use crop marks to register this? Or do you just have to visually place the 2nd color? I don't see how you can use crop marks to register, because they would transfer to the shirt, but I know that screen printers use them. How does this work (or not)?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Try this video and see what it does for you.
(Be sure to look at the other videos that are on the right hand side)

Randy

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZuenGcNJ-s[/media]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks, I didn't realize you could press 2 colors/layers at a time. Do you have to adjust the time for pressing?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gail,

To really get a good grip on what is happening, watch ALL of the videos you can on the right hand side of the previous video.
That will show you many ways of going about this procedure.
(COEDS [JB] knows more than I do about all of this though, so maybe he'll explain a little more why you shouldn't press more than one at a time) :)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZuenGcNJ-s[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgwKh5NrAa4&feature=related[/media]etc...

Hopefully someone else that does multi-colored vinyls will tell you how long to press them, I just haven't done that yet... :D

Randy

·
Registered
431 Posts
The video is not for heat pressing on shirts but for alignment of regular vinyl. There have been several questions like this on the forum and the video always shows up for some reason. If you look carefully you will notice that the vinyl is not cut in reverse so when you pressed it it would be backwards. You cannot use regisration marks to line up vinyl transfers. First of all once you press the first color the registration marks would then be permanantly on the shirt like you mentioned, unless it was part of the design this would not be a good thing. Secondly, once you press the first color you will have some shrinkage making the registration marks totally worthless.

When you do a two color outline it's important to have a large enough difference so when the first layer shrinks you can still fit the second color on it without too much stretching. It can make you wish you had 5 hands if you make it too small. Sometimes what looks good on paper just doesn't work in the real world.

Another thing I have found is if you let the shirt cool completely between colors they seem to relax some and it makes alignment a lot easier.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought that might be the case. I could see that the vinyl cut in the videos was right facing, and cut for a sign or something like that. I come from a printing background, so I knew it could be done for this, but I couldn't figure out about the garment transfers.

What you say makes sense about the shrinkage, and that designs that look good on paper might not work for HP. I run into this all the time with my embroidery, and educating the customer can be difficult.

When I was doing graphic arts using a camera and vacuum frame to burn multiple negatives into one positive, I had a punch system that lined the negatives up perfectly. I wonder if something like this could be used for garments.... I wish I still had it, as I'd be willing to give it a try.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Gail,

I also come from a printing background, so what you want, you can do... (Stripper, platemaker, cameraman, etc.) :D

I have some 1/8" and 1/4" register pins that would work, you can buy them at art stores, real art stores, not Michaels. (Or a drafting supply house, which would be kind'a rare nowadays probably)
They also have what is known as a "pin bar", that has the pins made into it, you just place that over the shirt.
I haven't done this actually, but it will work, it's no different than a plate or a proof.

The above way in the videos should also work too I'm pretty sure, all you'd have to do is remove the register marks by cutting them off before adhering, not unless I am clueless, and that's possible... :)

Randy

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ok now you have to remember that when you are using transfer vinyl, the part you see is the part that has to be on the bottom when pressed. So for it to work you would have to first remove the vinyl from the transfer sheet somehow because you need to reverse it, Then do the same to the second color then line up the two colors and somehow get it back onto a transfer sheet. Why not just do it one color at a time and be done with it. If you want exact placement why not break down and buy a cutter with optical registration, print your design and cut it. All done in 3 easy steps, print, cut and transfer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts