T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:
I'M LOOKING FOR HELP IN MUG WORK? I HAD PLANNED TO PURCHASE A SINGLE MUG PRESS TO START AND SOMEONE SUGGESTED NOT AND GO WITH WRAPS. I REALLY AM WONDERIN WHAT I SHOULD DO. I AM NEW AND VOLUMN IS NOT GREAT,AND I DON'T WANT TO START OFF IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE.
GLITZ......:eek:

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
mug wraps work very well... I started with cactus mug wrap...google to fine...or go to our vendors...400 deg F in oven for 15 min...easy to start and cheaper than a mug press

·
Registered
224 Posts
For the sake of investment, you might want to try some wraps first. I personally have 2 mug presses and love them, would never go to wraps but, wraps are a great way to start.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The difference really is time. The wraps take about 15 minutes in the oven, a press is about 3 minutes. What type of production are you looking to do? Its all about price and time available.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Personally all being even, I think you get a better imaged mug with a wrap, with an image closer to the handle and closer to the bottom of the mug. The oven heats the entire mug, and not just the outside, near the handle. The handle and the bottom "sump" the heat and does not get as hot as the other areas of the mug, so your image may lighten a bit in those areas. If you are doing mostly single mugs, and want to do them quickly, than a press will heat up quicker, and may be better for your business model. If time is not that much of an issue, then you can use a small Hamilton Beach Convection oven and have a mug in about 15 minutes. The bonus is that you can do up to 5 mugs at a time in that oven, so your throughput could be higher than a single mug press. Also, by doing 5 mugs at a time, you don't have to change them out as often, so it can be easier to multi-task and do other things while the mugs are "cooking". If your volumn really goes up, you can add another small oven and double your through-put or add a larger oven and do large quantities at a time.

Once you get your time and temp down with your wrap and oven setup, in my opinion and experience there is a lower mug scrap rate, than with presses. That is presses in general. Of course there are lots of different presses and they all have defferent scrap rates based on their designs.

I have talked with lots of people, and some like presses and some like wraps. You could always get a single wrap and try it and see of you like that process. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Once you get your time and temp down with your wrap and oven setup, in my opinion and experience there is a lower mug scrap rate, than with presses. That is presses in general. Of course there are lots of different presses and they all have defferent scrap rates based on their designs.
I use a Chinese made mug press and I must admit, that it has never once scrapped a mug for me. I have always got consistently great results with it.

I tend to do mugs one at a time, in between doing other products. The system works well for me. :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
We had done wraps for about 15 years . You do need to buy an in oven temperature gauge. I recommend three sets of wraps for volume folks. One set in the oven, one set ready and one set just removed from oven. Do not over tighten the wraps.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDKodX1gWmo[/media]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just would like to verify that you are talking about a Hamilton Beach Convection oven that can be purchased at Walmart or other local store and not a "special" convection oven. We originally did some mugs in our home oven and then found out that you are not supposed to use the oven that you cook in so we stopped doing mugs since right now we don't have the cash for a mug press.

Thanks
Melissa

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
It also might depend on where/how your going to market them. An open air market car show, or any such affair, you might want to do personalized mugs which would call for a press but, you probably would want to have some ready made ones of a general design appropriate to the occasion which probably would be more profitably made using the three sets of wraps like mentioned above by David.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi,

I am (fairly) new here and also looking to get into mug printing.

Asides from a mug press itself, what is the minimum equipment and expenditure I would need to start creating mugs?

I would like to know which printer would be best on a budget, the make of inks I would need and which colours I would need? Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

U4EA

·
Registered
0 Posts
With the hope I am not re-iterating here, can I just confirm what type of convection oven I would need? I am asking as I dont want to buy something that would be no use in the long-run.

Will any old kitchen microwave/convection oven do the trick? Is there anything I need to look out for?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Will any old kitchen microwave/convection oven do the trick? Is there anything I need to look out for?
You might want to check out craigslist for any old used kitchen oven in your area instead of buying something new. Remember, it doesn't have to look nice and match your kitchen decor. It just has to be able to heat up mugs.

I'm not sure what your business model is, but something else to keep in minde is that if you plan to travel and do mugs at events an oven can be a lot to lug around. This is where a press might be a good alternative.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was already planning on hitting Craigslist tomorrow :)

If I do get into this, I will be doing it from home so I think any old convection oven will do the trick for me.

Can I ask which dyes I should be looking at in terms of make and different colours?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I was already planning on hitting Craigslist tomorrow :)

If I do get into this, I will be doing it from home so I think any old convection oven will do the trick for me.

Can I ask which dyes I should be looking at in terms of make and different colours?

Thanks again.
You will need the dye sublimation inks/dyes if I'm not mistaken and you'll need mugs with a special receptive coating to accept the dys. There may be some other way with other types of ink/dye/toner but I haven't researched this area any for quite some time and am not aware of any particulars. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts