T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We would like to test print on mugs. I have searched internet for tips. Almost everywhere it says we must use sublimation. I am not sure about what this means. Is it possible to use ink for a regular printer lile epson stylus 1400 and print on a sheet? I also like to know if the prints holds good?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
1,435 Posts
Sublimation ink is a special type of ink that turns gaseous when heated, allowing it to transfer/bind to polymer/polyester surfaces, dying it. Sublimation works very well, although the coloring will fade with prolonged exposure to UV.

Regular inkjet ink will not transfer properly, and even if it does, it will wash off. I do not know about laser transfers for mugs, but they might exist as well, I do not know how well the washability is for laser transfers.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer. Do you know if there is possible to use sublimasion ink with a regular printer or do I need to buy a special printer for this?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using T-Shirt Forums

· Registered
8,807 Posts
There are sublimation inks for certain models of Epson and Ricoh printers. As a beginner I suggest you use Sawgrass ink. ... More expensive than knock off inks but are pretty much ready to use and set up. After some experience you can try either Cobra or off shore inks. Reason is some do not come with correct ICC profile. Suggest you read the forum section on sublimation and DyeSub.org - An educational site for dye sublimation and digital transfer printing. dye sub Org is a bit old but has some good info to start

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.