T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was turned on to MS by a tech that services brothers and has done some work on MS printers. He had very good things to say. I was going to buy a Viper(swf) and a 12 head embroidery machine but have since changed my whole set up and thought process. I broker about 120-150 k a year now. I bought and have being installed tomorrow a new brother gt-541 and a roland versacamm sp 300( for transfers and vehicle graphics. I goy my samples in from MS for the MS-One and I have got to say I was shocked and impressed with the quality. On my 5th or 6th wash and dry and they look as good as when they arrived. I have already had many calls and needs for dark tee printing and the day my brother is installed I have a 350 tee order ready to print. I am now planning on diving in with both feet and getting the ms-one and having it installed in next few weeks.

I have been real happy with my rep and the support staff at ms so far but I am a prospect not a customer yet. Everyone but 1 person has had very good things to say about the ms brand. I broker enough work now that I can run the machine daily for the work I send out and I think I will have jobs every day to print on the unit which I hear is important, running them more seems to be the best thing you can do to avoid problems.

Are there any ms-one owners out there who wished they would have bought a different machine and if so why?

Is there anything i should look out for or be aware of before signing this paper work? I am planning on taking the money i saved on the brother with the 0% finance offer and the fact that I bought a used tajima embroidery machine, that now has me under my original budget so I am taking the money i saved and spending it on a pre treat machine.

As i see it I have covered all my bases, I got a versacamm sp 300, a gt-541 new and now a new ms-one and a pretreat machine for a hair less then I was going to spend with a new viper printer and 12 thread single head. I feel like I am ready to tackle just about any job that comes my way and can now do vehicle graphics and contour cut transfers as well light and dark tees, lights on the 541 and darks on the ms-one.

Am I missing something? Is there something else I should be getting to make this shop ready to battle or have I covered all my bases. I think I am coming out of the gate with a strong line up and some serious fire power in terms of equipment.

I have 2 existing customers that if I run in house daily I can get a 12 month roi on the ms-one, while my screen printer who I send all my work to may not be happy but now I can run inventory for my web stores every day if I have no other work and I think putting 10-20 shirts a day thru the machine should keep it happy and inks flowing. It also appears that my ink costs to do these shirts is much less than I am paying for screen printing currently. It looks like a win-win for me but i could be wrong, it would not be the first time I was wrong.

Is there any advice anyone has to offer or is there something else I should be looking at before I sign this agreement? I want to charge into this full steam ahead as opposed to crawling in and working my way up and I think with all this firepower the only thing left for me to do is to go out and sell my new offerings.

I am a full service paper printer who has been brokering tees and embroidery for 8 years and I think if i cannabilize the outsource work I do now I can have both units paid for in 10-14 months.

Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on the ms-brand in particular and if there are any things I should be careful about or that I may have overlooked in my acquisition of the above mentioned equipment. From what I have learned from these forums I think I have everything I need to do large scale production and short runs and I can print or contour cut transfers if needed as well as do the dtg and short run embroidery.

Any advice, good or bad and any words of wisdom is appreciated.

Thanks everyone, this place has been a dream come true for me and I appreciate all you folks who post and share and help newbies like me out. I guess after these all get installed I will be posting everyday as I run into all the new problems and joys that this market has to offer.

Take Care and thank you in advance for any thoughts or feedback you can share. The brother is a done deal as is the versacamm, training starts at 8.00 am tomorrow. The ms-one is the next piece of the puzzle and I am looking at about 10 days before that arrives.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I were you, I would prepare for the potential situation of having to troubleshoot your printer yourself, or have a good technical contact available who can do it for you (ideally an Epson printer technician).

A few things to make time for:
scheduled maintenance - do not try to keep the machine running for longer than 100 prints without thorough cleaning and maintenance.
Typical required maintenance will take 2-3 hours after each 100 prints.

Parts to clean every 100 prints:
dampers
printhead
capping station area squeegee, gears(refer to my other post here: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/direct-garment-dtg-inkjet-printing/t114307.html#post712620 )

Parts to clean less often or as needed:
encoder strip - upon seeing signs of splatter/overspray

You should ask MS for the procedure to manually clean the printhead, as it will come in handy whenever there is any clogging issue. I think they still provide the pump for that exact purpose. The printhead should always be cleaned with cleaning solution.

One thing you don't learn upon purchasing your machine is that dampers are extremely succeptible to clogging and need regular cleaning to stay in shape. They act as a one-way valve in the direction of printing, so when they are cleaned, it must always be in that direction.

Ideally, have a second set of 8 dampers on-hand to swap out quickly when something goes south in the middle of a job.

Other issues and considerations: the capping station area accumulates a lot of ink overspray and in time, the metal, rubber and plastic surfaces may become covered in ink which will prevent the parts from moving and occasionally cause errors (e.g. 00010035). This can be prevented by cleaning those surfaces as needed, with alcohol and/or cleaning solution. We also use a mix of distilled, demineralized water with a few drops of Simple Green multi-purpose cleaner (3-4 drops per 100 ml water). This acts as a weaker cleaning solution.
Also, alcohol is an excellent cleaner for the ink, lifting dried-up ink from many surfaces, but as I recall it reacts strongly with acrylic-based plastics and rubber dries out and cracks after prolonged exposure to alcohol. Use alcohol sparingly to clean off stubborn ink deposits.

Another thing is that cartridge chips will sometimes fail, and it is a good idea to keep a full set of cartridge chips on-hand, again in case it happens in the middle of a job.

Last-minute advice: make sure the printhead NEVER comes in contact with any pretreatment.

This body of information is based on our personal experience, as well as good advice from other DTG owners on the forum (sunnydayz, JeridHill), but solid info usually only comes up when there is a problem, so don't wait for something to happen and check out common issues in the general DTG area as well as the DTG and T-jet subforums where most of the action happens.

Happy printing!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, man that seems overwhelming. The more I dive in to and read the forums the more it seems that there is no easy way. I got the brother for the lights and I got a versacamm which we have not hooked up you for transfer work until we could break into darks and the white inks. Thank you for the informative feedback. May be a silly question but I am thinking every machine of this type is going to require this level of maintance,upkeep and added work to keep thing running properly. It almost seems like sending out the 13 minimum to my screen printer seems to be the way to fly if people must have whites on darks and it seems like the profits I thought I would pocket by running my inventory daily will quickly be consumed by the labor of running and the labor of the cleaning and up keep to prevent failures and stoppages.

Lots of food for thought. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to tell you what I think of MS One printers, but the forum would not allow the verbage
I need spares and Ink !!!!!!
Italy wont reply
I have a $18,000 piece of junk
unless someone has a USA supplier who is actually helpfull

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would like to tell you what I think of MS One printers, but the forum would not allow the verbage
I need spares and Ink !!!!!!
Italy wont reply
I have a $18,000 piece of junk
unless someone has a USA supplier who is actually helpfull
This is the White model, it has the 4880 Epson printer.

Sawgrass can supply me the colors but not the white, I did speak with a very nice helpfull gentlman at sawgrass (they supply my sublimation inks)

My biggest issue is the conveyor control board and people who want to work on the machine.

In six months the head has blocked with white over 20 times, if you dont run the white every day you have to flush the lines.

Removing the head to clean this many times has damaged the ribbon cables so we replaced them and the head.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would you happen to be in Florida? I know a tech here.
I am in Georgia but will drive the printer to Florida if i can get it repaired.
I would also be prepared to purchase a Service Manual if anyone knows where I can get it, i have a local electronics guy who says he can fix it given the correct information.
Could you get me the techs information.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking for other owners of an MS One machine. I have a machine and can find no one to help with service issues - evidently the company has folded.
Can you help out with any advice?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've actually found the machine decent to work with. I've had my issues over the years like anyone else but it's a good machine it if you treat it right. We have to keep in mind that most of these DTGs are epson based, meaning they all have nearly the same issues sans custom boards and parts.

One question to the forum, has anyone managed to connect with Italy in case we need to purchase parts?

j

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, we have the same machine with the same issues, no tech help. Seems el'pedro jumped ocean to pursue a surfing career and left all of us hanging. We too have an 18,000 piece of garbage. He has a makeshift office in Kingston, MA but Phoebe et al are totally incompetent , one who may be able to help with grace is former MS Tech guy Justine Fernandes, justinadvertising otherwise we are all screwed. Perhaps a class action? We have has no rep
Sponse from Italy either. Try, [email protected]. Super nice guy but really busy

Keep me posted

1 - 13 of 13 Posts