T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the opinion on here about mouse-over sounds? I went through the don't put music on your page thread and didn't see anything about it. I'm not talking about playing a full song just a quick one or two second sound effect when the mouse rolls over certain images on my page.
Specifically for mine I'm thinking about a vacuum and a diver breathing sound on the logo image and title respectively.
Thanks You.

· Registered
814 Posts
there IS a way to do it and not make it cheesey, but you should only use it on just ONE or TWO buttons.. otherwise it gets overkill.

My general consensus is not to use ANY sound on ANY website. People do not surf e-commerce sites to be entertained. They go there to get some shopping done.. and although you want to be memorable, its better to do that visually.

DONT use any sounds that are not just simple CLICKS for buttons.. anything like a vacuum is just too much..

· Registered
31 Posts
there are some few websites that use it in a good way. but generally speaking that is a thing of the past. i would suggest NOT to use any sound on your website. many people listen to own music when surfing the web or to podcasts (like myself) and every additional sound will put you in the risk the annoy them and they might leave your page very quick if they don't find the turn off button right away. i live in a country where these kind of FX are still very popular (thailand) so i see it quite often. the mouseover sound you can usually not turn of. thats really anoying.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the advice everyone. What I am planning will be subtle and would not be loud enough to hear over someone's music. I do agree about the loud auto playing sounds on sites. I hit a lawyer's site the other day and it started lecturing me. I only want one mouse-over sound really, the other would only go in if the first went well. After reading ya'll's advice I don't think I'll even bother looking at the second one.

Adam--- That light switch is sweet!!! Wish I knew enough to do that or could afford to pay to get it done. I liked it so much I ended up with the chicken.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.